No. 8

"Happy Birthday mommy!" Norene smiled brightly as she spoke to her mother on the other end of the phone. The woman was a sobbing mess, she missed her sweet Nori so much. It has been just about two months since Norene moved away from Massachusetts and started her life in Texas.

Norene hasn't experienced homesickness yet but she was sure it would come when the holidays approached. November wasn't too far away and she was definitely in charge of cooking for thanksgiving dinner.

"Come home baby!" She wailed. Norene laughed at her dramatics. "Mom I can't but I promise I will be back to visit in due time."

Her mother sniffled and whined but her dad took over the phone. "How are they treating you over there?" He went into protective father mode. Norene rolled her eyes but she did appreciate their concern.

"I am just fine. I have made friends and the Lady of the house is very kind." She admitted. "Any black handsome young men sweeping you off your feet?" Her mother perked up. Norene snorted. "Not yet momma I haven't been around too much. The few black men I work with are happily married."

"Well you know their are a lot of good black fellas in the south." Her mother suggestively hinted. "I know mom." She laughed laying back down. "Stop rushing her hun!" Her father interjected. "I am not!" The two began to bicker.

"Okay I am going now! I love you and enjoy your day." And just like that she was off the phone.

Norene chuckled to her self at her family before she began tying her hair into a neat bun.

She looked at the uniform laid out for her and slipped it on. She slipped on her shoes and made her way down stairs quietly passing Levi's door in hopes not to wake him.

Once she got down stairs it seemed as if she was the only person up. She shrugged before going to meal plan for the day. She entered the large food supply room to get what she needed for breakfast when she heard soft moans in the back.

She frowned trying to ignore what could've been her imagination before the clanking of items made her too curious to ignore it. She peaked around the corner and almost gasped out loud.

There was Georgia with her tongue down Maggie's throat. Norene honestly was not expecting to see that. Especially with how vulgar Georgia was about her exploits with men. Norene was immediately prepared to back away when she caught eyes with Maggie who gasped in terror.

"What-" Georgia started but made eye contact with Norene. She paled a bit trying to conjure up an explanation but Norene held up her hands in a non threatening way. "I didn't see anything please don't panic." She tried to reassure the women but Maggie was already in tears.

Georgia's expression became cold and she quickly rushed out of the room. Norene sighed before approaching Maggie. The 20 year old girl was shaking. "Honey I promise I won't say anything you have nothing to be afraid of." She hugged her.

"You promise?" Maggie whimpered. Norene nodded. "I promise. How about you lie down for a while. I can manage breakfast on my own and I will make you something after?"

Maggie could see the genuine care Norene had for her and nodded her head slowly.

Nori guessed Georgia was right. Everyone did have their secrets.

She blew out a breath and collected her ingredients before going back to the kitchen to start cooking. She got the stove started and placed the frying pans on it. She would be making a large breakfast today so she was sure to make sure that she gave a variety of options for them to choose from.

She was worried for Georgia, she didn't take being caught too well. Norene expected that. There weren't many people that were open about their affection for the same sex. It was usually met by very violent actions.

She would have to corner her and talk to her.

"Smells decent in here." That smooth southern accent was becoming more familiar by the minute. She didn't even to look. She knew who would be harassing her at this moment.

"Mr. Brooks." She acknowledged without looking. "What are you making?" He walked over to her and leaned on the counter beside her. He smelt good, nothing was better than a good smelling man.

NOT LEVI NORENE

"Try it." She held a spoon for him to take. Levi didn't get the message and held her wrist to take a bite of the coconut crepe with cream and raspberry puree. It was as if she was feeding him and it strangely felt intimate. Norene cursed her body's reaction as she bit her lip.

His touch lingered for a moment as if he was holding her as long as he could, longer than necessary.

He licked the cream of his lips and crossed his arms as he thought about it. Norene actually was a bit nervous of what he would think. This was her first time trying this recipe since school.

He swallowed and his Adam's apple bobbed appreciatively. His green eyes refocused on her. He notice she was truly looking back at him expectantly.

"Hmm it's different." He inquired. Norene leaned against the counter. "In a good or a bad way?" Levi looked at her expression, she was serious about wanting his feed back. "It's good."

Everything you cook is good Norene

"Okay well try this." She held the glass of tannish liquid up to him. "What the hell is that?" He frowned. "Brown sugar lemonade."

He grimaced looking at it. Norene scoffed and thrusted the cup into his hands. "Just try it." Levi rolled his eyes and took a small sip. He paused looked down at the cup then back at Norene who had a knowing smirk on her face.

He couldn't even mess with her on this one. She has yet to make something he didn't like.  He gulped the rest of the glass before placing it back on the counter. "Now how about that?" She raised a brow.

"That was pretty d*mn good." He nodded. Norene let a little sigh of relief out at the feedback. "Wow I'm surprised my opinion has such a heavy weight for you."

She gave him a light shove and laughed. "Oh hush I still don't like you." She reminded him. "Your flirting says otherwise Norene."

"Maybe you're the one flirting with me." She smirked back. "I never said I wasn't." He lifted a brow drinking in her features. Norene scoffed. "Quit messing around. Does your mother know you talk to black women like this?"

Internally her heart skipped a beat. She would never admit that though.

It was Levi's turn to laugh. "If you could read between the lines I'm sure you would rethink that statement."

Norene rolled her eyes playfully, she was indulging way more than she should in this a**hole's comments. "There you go insulting me again. Back to Mr. Brooks."

"Good thing I like to be called that." He smirked charmingly.

Norene's cheeks warmed a little. "You know everyone says you're a quiet man. You are slightly crass and not quiet at all."

He leaned down to hear ear suggestively and spoke softly. "Just for you Norene. I like to make you squirm."

"Do you harass every new employee like this?" She felt it was odd for him to be behaving in such a different way from what he was known for. He has only known Norene for about 2 months.

Levi looked at her and chuckled before taking a plate and walking to the dining table.