No. 5

"Georgia can you grab me the rosemary? The sauce is missing something." Norene called across the kitchen to Georgia who worked on the sides with another cook named Hugh. "Yes ma'am and the sweet potato casserole is almost done." Georgia chirped.

Cooking is like muscle memory. Norene found most of her joy in the kitchen. It was her safe space. Her Haven.

Everyone has their something that makes them tick and cooking was Norene's. She was so passionate about every ingredient, every spice, every technique. She didn't just make food to enjoy she made food to savor to build memories like how her grandma's cooking brought her.

Many people never though of cooking like that but she did. She saw so much more than just sustaining your livelihood. She saw it as a form of art something that you could master and bring joy to someone's taste buds.

This meal was important for Norene's job. Levi would actually be around for a meal. He usually spent his days out and about for work and came home for a place to sleep. Ms. Lily was not having that anymore. She done guilt tripped him into staying for meals and spending more time with her. It was an understandable request. If Norene didn't spend time with her family when she was home her mother would have gone crazy.

Norene wanted everything to be perfect for Ms. Lily. She didn't want to disappoint her by making something her son didn't like.

However if it were up to Norene he could take that stuck up attitude and choke on it.

But she had to be respectful.

These past two days her son has been the biggest pain in her a**. He wasn't a big talker but his eyes told a lot of his emotions when he wanted them to. Constantly watching her with a sharp scrutinizing gaze. She could do nothing that he wouldn't see.

Plus he seemed to think Norene was a personal maid. Only her though. Even when Lily Anne told him numerous times that she was a cook and only that.

Of course Norene did no maid task for him but it earned snide remarks. He was so stoic that to a normal person they would think nothing of his words. But Norene some how just knew he was being a smart a**.

She read him pretty well on his rudeness for the most part but other than that he was impossible to read.

Norene has made it her mission to steer clear of him at night and in the mornings and she has succeeded. But now was the test of him tasting her food. He was unavoidable at the dinner table tonight.

"You put your foot in this Nori it's gonna be amazing." Georgia gave her shoulder a squeeze. Norene exhaled with a nod. "I hope so." Georgia went about fixing the plates and ushering the other maids in the dining area to feed Mr. Brooks and Ms. Lily.

Norene wiped her hands down on her dress and took a deep breath before going to help serve the food. She took slow strides in the dining area with a couple of glasses. Whiskey for Levi and Brandy for Ms. Lily.

When she entered the room, both pairs of eyes turned to her direction. She smiled in Ms. Lily's direction and gave a polite nod in Levi's direction. "Oh my goodness what do we have today?" Lily clapped.

"Sweet Onion Vidalia chicken simmered with rosemary, white rice, sweet potato casserole, homemade biscuits, seasoned asparagus."

Lily hummed in satisfaction at the words and the smell of the plate. Levi sniffed it but said nothing. Lily took his hands and began to pray for their meal. It was sweet. He actually participated willingly. Up north she didn't see many whites pray before their food so this was a nice sight to see.