No. 9

"How do I look?" Norene asked Greta who smiled at the pretty woman. "You look stunning Norene. Ms. Lily will be pleased you put effort into your look for tonight."

Norene stared at herself in the mirror and grinned. "Not half bad Huh?" She spoke to herself before giving a twirl. Relax Norene, nothing special just dinner with Ms. Lily.

Norene calmed down and smoothed her dress down before giving herself one more pat down for the hair. "Okay good." She mumbled to herself. Greta snorted. "What Greta?" Norene crossed her arms.

Greta smirked. "You are putting in a lot of effort for tonight... any particular reason?" She lifted a brow. Norene scowled. "If you think this is for Levi you are wrong. I still don't like him."

Greta rolled her eyes. "Mhmm. You both are having a hard time pretending to despise each other as of late." Norene scoffed in utter offense. "Greta get your head out of the romance novels you read."

The other woman simply laughed at her distress before exiting her room. Norene grumbled to herself out of the door too. She passed Levi's room but he happened to already be downstairs. She slowly took her steps down the staircase and made her way to the dining area where Levi and Lily were waiting for her.

"Oh Nori you look fantastic! I remember when I was a cute little thing like you!" Lily-Anne gushed.

Norene smiled in her direction before slightly glancing at Levi. His expression gave nothing away. No impressed features, no admiration, no disgust or dislike...simply nothing. She decided not to think too hard about it and went to sit.

Levi stood up and pulled the chair out for her making her give a quiet nod of thanks. She took her seat and looked around expectantly to say grace.

"Hold hands everyone!" Lily chirped excitedly. Norene took Lily's eager hand first before accepting the hand Levi held out for her. His hand was very large and he held her hand with a comforting firmness.

His thumb began to trace little circles just like he had when she burnt herself on the stove. Norene was starting to take Greta's previous words serious. Was Mr. Brooks trying to seduce her? Norene asked the Lord for forgiveness as she interrupted her concentration for prayer and looked up at the man who was already staring at her.

She was so thankful she was a dark skinned woman, she blushed so easily when she was embarrassed. Many confused her for being flustered but she was sure she was just embarrassed. Especially now, Levi could not fluster her.

He didn't fluster her no way.

His eyes were such a beautiful shade of jade green. They paired nice with his dark chestnut brown hair. Norene wasn't even too bothered with the fact that she was looking right back at him at this moment. It was like they were communicating in their heads.

Norene didn't know what the conversation was but it definitely caused her to cross and uncross her legs a few times.

"Amen!"

Norene snapped her head back into Lily's direction in shock. Good heavens she was a sinner. Father I am so sorry please forgive me and please get me out of the trance of this white man!

"Well let's eat." Lily smiled. The food was good, Georgia must have made it. Norene had yet to see Georgia since what happened this morning.

"Nothing like your cooking Norene but dinner is pretty good." Lily grinned as she took a bite. "Thank you Ms. Lily."

"You are going to make an excellent wife one day. How has a handsome man not swept you up yet?" Lily playfully slapped her arm. "I am not too focused on settling down right now Ms. Lily. I am sure one day I will be ready." Norene assured her as she played with her food. Levi's stare was still very penetrating.