No. 4

Norene didn't sleep well. How could she?

She was now aware that she wasn't not the only person living in the hall. There was a six foot something man a door away.

A man who quite frankly saw her nude. It doesn't get more humiliating than that she supposed.

She wanted to lay in bed and wallow all day but she couldn't. She needed to be professional and unfazed. So she would play that part, he would let it go in due time he probably would dose his eyes in bleach after seeing a negro naked in his home.

She would not let it deter her motivation it was just a slight moment of embarrassment. Nothing she couldn't recover from eventually. She got up and looked at the new dress laid out for her. It wasn't a work uniform. It was a nice flowy sundress. She was confused, maybe Greta or Lily forgot to get another one for her.

Knocking on the door stopped her thoughts and she immediately forgot her new positive outlook already fearing for the worst. "It's me Norene." Greta's voice came through the other side.

Norene exhaled and called for her to enter. Greta came in wearing a casual dress. It wasn't quite as flashy as Norene's but it was beautiful. Not something a maid would wear for work.

"What is the occasion?" Norene asked quizzically. Greta giggled. "We don't work on Sunday's."  Norene frowned. Well this was some news. She supposed it was a pretty neat deal for her.

"Who cooks for everyone?" Greta smiled. "Ms. Lily does. And she can cook good too."

Norene was so surprised a white person like Lily-Anne Brooks was real. "Wow."

"She is one of a kind." Greta  chuckled. Norene nodded before feeling the soft material of her dress. She looked back up noticing that Greta was still in the room staring at her expectantly.

She mischievously smirked at Norene and Nori knew where this was going instantly. "So I heard you met a special someone last night."

Norene groaned falling back in the bed. "I am so embarrassed. There ain't nothing left to preserve that man had seen it all."

"It's like you summoned his arrival." Greta laughed loudly. Norene threw a pillow at her. "I have only worked here for two days and I am already flashing the Lady of the House's son. And you were right he is kind of standoffish." Norene frowned.

Greta patted her friend's shoulder supportively. "I'm sure he will be relaxed about the issue. He probably won't even acknowledge it again, Mr. Levi Brooks doesn't like to talk too much remember. He is typically very polite."

But Norene remembered that but that did not ease her embarrassment. They were quiet for a long moment before Greta nudged her again. "But he is handsome right?"

"Oh you are terrible." Norene laughed shoving her. She didn't want to give her the satisfaction of an answer. Especially one that she knew.

______

Levi dressed himself all disgruntled. He had just come home from a long day of checking on his the businesses he looked over.

His ex wife Eva was lurking around for him to send letters and cry about their divorce and to his father about him. He was fed up with everything.

But then again it didn't take much to make him upset. No one liked when he was upset so therefore no one really messed with him. Except Eva's desperate tail who came with his father to beg for him to take her back. That was what ticked him off. He just needed to get out that headspace and out of that location.