No. 40

I just about killed y'all last chapter 🤣

"I really messed up... didn't I?" Levi asked her as they sat on the patio. The pretty waves crashed in front of them keeping Norene mesmerized. It was her first time at the ocean and it was sad that the only time she was here was in a dream. A beautiful, sad and broken dream.

"You didn't do anything...you can't help who you're related to." Norene responded. Both of them looking out into the distance. Not looking at each other just staring into space. Neither one wanting to address the elephant in the room. The pink and orange sky was bright and setting the tone for romance when it was really a sad occasion.

Levi opened his mouth but closed it again. Dreading the next thing to come out of his mouth. But it couldn't be ignored any longer.

"I probably won't see you again Huh?" He spoke blankly. Norene just looked down at her feet with her eyes closed. She couldn't respond because she didn't know.

She really didn't know what to say. She loved him and he loved her but she didn't know where they went from here. She just knew she went away after this.

Levi cleared his throat and nodded with his jaw visibly tight. Eyes red rimmed and broken.

"I'm sorry... Thank you for showing me I can fall in love." Levi nodded taking her hand. "Thank you for showing me how to be loved." She responded as she rested her head on his shoulder and the sunlight beamed directly in her eyes.

Norene woke up with the sun streaming right in her eyes and Addison holding her in his arms. She sniffled as her body ached when she shifted her position. Addison stirred awake at the motion before looking at her carefully.

Norene stared back at him with bags under her eyes. It had been a very long 15 hours. Addison and Nori were both tired alike.

"Norene? Are you alright?" He asked quietly and carefully staring into her heavy exhausted eyes. Wishing he could take all of her pain away.

He wanted nothing more than to erase everything Norene had gone through here and just pretend they never left Massachusetts. But she was scarred for now. He couldn't do anything about it but be the best friend he could possibly be.

He needed to get her away from here. He needed to at least do something to separate her from this blinding pain she's experienced.

"I don't hear a heart beat."

That had both of their hearts sink to the bottom of their stomach. Addison tried to hold it together but seeing Norene's expression made him look away for a moment.

Norene had truly died for that hour. He believed it. That was an honest hour of lifelessness. She didn't even cry. Her body slumped in an unnatural way as every ounce of energy drained from her face.

Addison tried to shake her back into reality but Norene blankly stared at the white wall in front of her as if he wasn't even there. As if he wasn't even touching her. His voice sounded like it was a mile away in the back of her mind. She felt nothing. Nothing could fix it. Her heart was shattered.

Norene felt like she was dying and she looked like she was dying. She probably wanted to die. She never had felt such a deep pain in her life than she had at that moment.

The moment she felt her baby was ripped away from her without a choice.

She was empty inside. She felt dark inside. She felt sick on side. She was lonely and lost and heart broken.