No. 12

It took Norene forever to close her eyes. She laid in her bed staring at the wall in front of her. She felt so guilty. She felt embarrassed and ashamed. She was letting intrusive thoughts of Levi cloud her judgement.

Seeing that mother in so much pain... Norene had to wait a while before she managed to get a little rest. But now she's up again and the guilt still hitting her hard.

Her family really wasn't lying about what went on down here. She was too optimistic, too filled of hope and new adventure. No wonder everyone assumed she was so young. Her naivety was as strong as her independence.

She noticed she was the only one who reacted in such a manner. Everyone around her simply looked disappointed and maybe a little sad but it was nothing new to them. How could they sit there and pretend everything was okay?

Were things like this just so normal to them? So ordinary to them? She knew they happened, the north wasn't always sunshine and rainbows but how do you hit a point where there is no more outrage? How bad does it have to be to get no more reaction? But then again how outraged can black people be without getting into a dangerous situation? It was a lose lose. And it hurt her heart.

She was disturbed and confused. This situation made her skin crawl. She was a little scared of what she would encounter the more she explored. "You're up." Came from the deep voice from across the room.

She gasped not expecting company but relaxed a little when her brown eyes met his green. "Is it okay if I sit on the bed?" He asked. Norene gulped but nodded. He took slow steps to the bed and before planting himself on the edge of it. He was quiet for a moment and she supposed it was because he saw the newspaper after her. He knows about what happened.

He probably knew where her head was at. She didn't want to look at him right now. "I'm sorry." Was all he said in silence. "Does that happen a lot?" She whispered.

Levi cleared his throat but gave a disappointed nod. Norene took the wet cloth off her forehead and set it on the dresser. He must have put it there when she finally managed to sleep. She turned to look at Levi with a look he was starting to recognize. It was her set back face. The face she would turn him down with.

"This is the south huh?" She played with her fingers. Levi didn't lie to her. He gave a firm nod that proved that the state of this area was simply not safe for colored folk.

"Let me get you something to eat real quick." He stood to his feet and quietly exited her room. She was happy they were the only two who occupied this wing because it would cause quite a ruckus if they were caught together.

Why was he taking care of her and not Greta? Wouldn't Greta be more inclined to check on her especially after witnessing that? Norene pondered but didn't want to think too much on it.

Levi finally returned will a bowl of oatmeal and fruit. "Thank you." She took it from him and began to eat. She didn't say anything but focused on her food while he focused on her. "Is there a reason why you're still here?" She tried to sound polite but she could not help the edge she had in her voice. She felt a little bad because she didn't mean to take it out on him at the moment.

"I just wanted to make sure you were fine. I can leave if you want." He went to stand but Norene against her better judgement took his hand.

Levi looked down at her hand against his and froze. This was probably the first time she touched him in an innocent manner. "I um... I know this sounds kind of weird but-"

"I can stay." He added. Norene flushed, why doesn't she just ask for Greta? "I- you can just get Greta."

Levi sat back on the bed beside her. "I don't mind staying if you want." Norene surprisingly didn't protest.