Confront | روبرو

~__________________________________~

Yaqeen kesa? gumaan kesa? 

Urooj kesa? zawal kesa? 

Sawal kesa? jawab kesa?

Muhabbatein tou muhabbatein hain,

Muhabbaton mein hisaab kesa. 

~__________________________________~

(Note: the scenes written in Italics letters are either flashbacks or thoughts.)

Unedited:

I'm sorry we couldn't save Ayza.

Loud cries, white coffin, and Ayza's lifeless face flashed. And then kept flashing.

"Sorry we couldn't save Ayza but your baby is fine", these words echoed along with the loud cries of the people mourning her death.

"Ayza is no more",

"Oh what will happen to the poor motherless child",

Zohaib woke up with a loud gasp and sat down. He was breathless and terrified. Faryal almost ran towards him. She made him drink a few sips of water and rubbed his back. He held her hand so tight like his life was depending on her. It was the second night that he was getting scared in sleep. She sat down and hugged him. He felt like a scared little child in her embrace.

She didn't have any consoling words for him, that's the least she knew would ease him a little bit.

*****

Huzaifa walked down the stairs with a tray in his hands.

"Zohaib didn't eat anything?", Mom asked worriedly.

"Last night's meal was still untouched, as always", Huzaifa heaved a sigh and looked at the baby in a baby cart. He rubbed his forehead" Mom I don't know how will it work. It's been over 20 days and he hasn't spoken a word, didn't eat anything except when dad had forcefully made him eat a few morsels, and didn't even spare a single glance at his baby yet. He has become a statue. With each passing day, I'm getting worried for his condition." Huzaifa's heart ached for the motherless baby who hadn't felt the warmth of her parents yet. But at the same time, he wasn't able to blame Zohaib for his reaction, because whatever happened was unexpected and traumatic. The baby was still nameless.

"Should we take the baby to him again?", Mom asked.

" We should keep trying", Huzaifa agreed.

They climbed up the stairs. Mom opened the door, the room was pitch black. Squinting to their surroundings mom carefully walked deeper into the room towards the window and let the curtains drew aside to let the light come inside.