Chapter Four- Back on Track

Six Months Later...

"Luke, we've been chasing dead ends for the last four months." Thea said frustrated. "You still haven't seen the guy, you don't have a name, or even a motive."

I walked to the window and started out at the New York City skyline.

I pulled a hand through my hair and turned to look at the young woman who was putting on makeup.

"Fine." I sighed. "Last chance, and if it gets us nowhere, we can go home."

Thea smiled through the mirror and nodded her head. "Okay, last one."

She walked out of the bathroom and straightened my tie and pulled my suit jacket down tight before buttoning a single button.

"I've been meaning to ask." I said to her. "What went on that day on that night on the roof?With Roy?"

"The night we were searching for William?" She asked as she looked in the mirror to put an earring in.

I nodded which she saw through the mirror.

"Well, he tried to apologize." Thea said. "Very big of him to do so, and then told me he wanted us to leave on the right foot and his decision for leaving me hadn't changed."

"Well if his feelings had changed you wouldn't be busting up gangs for any piece of possible evidence we can get our hands on." I said trying to lighten the mood.

"We'll chat about this later." She said to me as she grabbed her purse and we headed for the door.

We rode the elevator down to the ground floor where we exited out onto the busy Manhattan streets as the sun began to descent upon the city.

"With how big this place is, I'm surprised it's not overrun with superheroes and villains." She said shrugging as she hailed a taxi.

I pursed my lips and shrugged. "Maybe in another universe."

We got out in front of a club and due to Thea's reputation she was let passed the bouncer without having to wait in line.

The bass echoed loudly in my oversensitive ears and the strobe lights were distracting to my overstimulated eyes as well.

"You good?" Thea asked as I rubbed them.

"Yeah, my enhanced sense are going crazy right now." I said to her.

"Ooo, can you like feel in your mind if there's bad guys around?" She asked bouncing on her feet.

I raised my eyebrows at her. "No Thea, I don't have the force." I said to her.

She gave a small smile.

Ever since Oliver died and the Roy falling out it was rare to see her smile. I did my best to cheer her up, but it was no use. She smiled when she wanted and was impossible to crack at any other time.

"Come." She said grabbing my hand. "I need a drink."

"You ever been clubbing?" I asked as she pulled me along.

"You know I have, Lukas. I used to snort coke and do drugs in the bathroom." She said to me.

"When was this?" I asked shocked.

"Started right after my goody-goody best friend ran off to Minnesota to play hockey." She said as she ordered a couple shots.

She gave me a look that told me to look around, sure enough guards were positioned in front of the doors leading to the back. Equipped with full auto guns in their hands.

"I count two." Thea said to me.

I peered around the rest of the club before I saw them. "I count six. Two on the floor and two more near the bathrooms." I said to her.

"Good eye." She said to me.

"Too bad I count seven." She said to me. "Wanna have some fun?" She asked winking at me.

I was too late to notice the bartender was moving her hands under the counter.

Thea was quick as she grabbed her by the hair slamming her head against the counter.

I pulled off my tie as the next man advanced towards me with a sword.

I sidestepped his first swing and pulled my tie around his throat before throwing him to the ground. I punched him in the face knocking him out.

Time slowed as my spider sense kicked in. A gun was being pointed at the back of my head.

I ducked and spun raising my hand in the process covering the end of the barrel with a web.

Thea was kicked as she jump and kicked him over the edge of the second bar.

"How many is that?" I asked her. "I haven't been counting."

"Three. Two more approaching she said.

I noticed the guards at the door hadn't moved and were watching closely.

I grabbed Thea's arm and threw her forward as she raised her fist crashing into the first guy. The second guy looked to see if he could help the first guy and I took my chance. I jumped at him and kicked him through the wall.

Thea ripped up her dress to make it lose around the legs revealing two throwing knives in which she threw at the last two guards.

Two clunks sounded and the guards dropped to the floor.

Thea and I walked the rest of the way to just outside the door at the end of the hall.

"The Itsy Bitsy spider climbed up the water spout." A man said in a sing song voice on the other side of the door. "Down came the rain and washed the spider out. Then came the Shocker and beat him to a pulp."

Just as we opened the doors the man brought his hand down on the desk crushing a spider under his hand.

"I don't think that's how it goes." I said to him.

He just chuckled in his seat.

"What's so funny?" Thea asked him.

"Welcome bug." He said flashing a golden smile.

"Who are you?"

He pointed at himself. "Oh me, I'm just the messenger. You've finally made it to the next step of the hunt."

Thea walked forward and put a knife threw the mans hand.

"What's the message?" She asked as the man screamed in pain.

"Chicago, is where you'll find your next clue." The man said. "If you make it there, Herman Schultz sends his regards."

The tv behind the man suddenly began to flash. Numbers were counting down.

"He's rigged the place to blow." I said backing up.

"Yeah, no shit." Thea said grabbing my arm as we took off running towards the back exit as we crashed through the doors I quickly shot a web to a nearby roof and pulled us to safety as the building below us exploded.

"I guess the good news is we got a lead, finally." Thea said to me.

I smiled at her.

"Back on track."