Chapter Twenty Three- Fractures

I sat with my legs hanging off the edge of the tall building as I stuffed a burger in my mouth and played subway surfers on my phone.

So far the night had been quiet, almost too quiet. No police chatter, not sirens.

My phone suddenly became red and flashed against my white eye lenses. The classic exclamation point surrounded by a red triangle filled my screen.

I immediately stood up and put my phone into my zipper pocket, a great addition from Chester, I might add.

"Alright team, what we got?" I asked as I flipped off the roof and began swinging through the streets.

"Multiple alarms going off downtown at Broadway and Madison, hold up. I'm picking something up." Chesters voice said.

"Sonic readings, I think we got our Discord." Caitlin said as I made a sharp right heading for downtown.

As I flipped and swung into the sky I looked towards S.T.A.R Labs where I saw a purple streak fly out onto the street.

I stuck myself to the side of the building as I saw the man standing in the middle of the street.

He was wearing the Sonic stabilizer around his neck.

"Hey Daniel!" I yelled causing him to look at me. "That doesn't belong to you." I said shooting web towards him.

It was immediately deflected by a pinpoint sonic blast coming out of his hands.

I backflipped onto the street standing a short distance away from him.

Around me store windows were shattered and cars had been flipped over with people cowering in fear on the street.

"Your powers, how'd you get them?" I asked him.

"There was a freak storm couple months ago, nearly ripped the city apart. I got struck by a bolt of lightning and next thing you know I have these powers." He said to me. "I couldn't control them."

"Is that why you got the stabilizer?" I asked him. "So, you could kill Adam and Marissa?"

The purple flash slowed to a stop behind him and I watched as Nora put her ear pieces in.

He shook uncontrollably. "I didn't want to kill them. I just wanted the stabilizer."

Lightning flickered around Nora and she began to run towards him.

Daniel turned around and hit her with a Sonic blast knocking her backwards into the car bending her back over the side of the hood.

I nearly threw up seeing how her body had bent.

"You're hurting innocent people." I said to him as I slowly made my way to Nora as she rolled off the car.

I knelt down next to her. "You good?"

She nodded in pain. "I will be."

"Bart, come get your sister." I said into the comms. "I'll deal with Discord."

"They're hardly innocent." He hissed. "He ruined me."

"Daniel, you can't make someone love you." I said to him.

"Of course not, he's dead." He said to me hitting me with a Sonic blast.

I fell through the wall of a nearby building.

"If I can't love, no one can." He growled picking up a broken Nora by her throat.

I webbed a car and the lift pole and slingshotted myself at him catching him in the ribs sending him flying backwards as he managed to use his Sonic blast to balance himself before he fell to the ground.

A flash of yellow appeared and disappeared in an instant as Bart had successfully got Nora out of here.

A freak accident, a lucky shot. Daniel wouldn't be able to hit that shot on a speedster again even if he wanted to.

"I already broke your friend." He hissed at me. "The Speedster. What makes you think you can stop me?"

"Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes." I said as I went for the stabilizer again successfully ripping it from his neck and into my hand.

His hands began to vibrate and shoot Sonic waves uncontrollably as he flailed his arms around.

I leapt off the cars and dodged my way through the Sonic streams before successfully getting close to him and dropping a pair of power dampening cuffs on his wrists.

"Daniel Howard, you're under arrest." I said to him. "You won't be making any noise for a while."

I laughed at my own joke while most of the officers ignored it I got one chuckle.

"Thank you." I said to him.

"Thanks Spider. Good to have you back." The lieutenant said as he shoved Daniel into a police car.

I saluted him before leaping into the air and swinging my way through the city towards S.T.A.R Labs.

***
"How is she?" I asked Caitlin as she looked at an IPad just as Nora was coming out of the MRI machine.

"She's going to be okay, fractured her back in three places. No sign of paralysis." Caitlin said showing me her X-rays.

I nodded and watched as Bart went from her bed to the door before entering the cortex.

"Thanks for calling me, who knows what could've happened." He said to me.

I nodded at him.

"She asked for you." He said patting me on the shoulder.

"Me?" I asked oblivious.

He laughed. "Yes, of course you."

I stepped back and walked towards the door of the medical room.

"How are you feeling?" I asked as I made my way towards the side of the bed she was laying on.

"I hope I look better than I feel." She winced.

I smiled at her. "Unlucky what happened in the field, caught a tough break."

She gave a painful smile. "I like the new suit, it's much bette than the black by the way." She said to me. "Are these based off my gauntlets?" She asked feeling the white stripe on my wrists.

I nodded and chuckled. "They are actually. What did Caitlin say?"

"I'm gonna be bedridden for as long as it takes my super healing to kick in. Could be days." She said as her fingers fell down my wrist and to my hand where she painfully grabbed it.

"Do you want me to stay with you?" I asked her. "I certainly can."

She smiled. "Thanks for the offer, but Bart is getting my wheelchair and then we're going to head home."

I nodded. "We'll I'm going to head back to my apartment then. I'm right down the hall if you need anything." I said walking to the door.

"Luke." She said as I gripped the doorknob.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Thank you."