Chapter Thirty Two- Lost and Found

"How are you sure it's him?" Barry asked. "Nora picked up no signals from him and I trust her."

I raised an eyebrow. "Right, because she hasn't colluded with an enemy before."

He waved his hand at me. "Not the same thing."

I pondered the drawing board.

"It's a sense Barry, like a sixth sense." I said to him. "It alerts me when somethings wrong. Thea would be dead if I hadn't sensed that bomb coming and everytime he's around it goes off like a tornado warning."

"I mean I thought the scars across his face and the fact he's completely off the grid. There's no record he even existed aside from his military background made enough sense." Chester said looking at a computer.

"He's also unnaturally strong." I said to Barry.

"Fine." Barry said. "We'll- you'll go after him. Any ideas?"

I shook my head. "Thea's not in Central City. What's one thing Kraven would want more than anything?"

"Sergei Kravinoff. Kraven the Hunter." Frost said shrugging. "Rolls off the tongue smooth like ice."

Allegra raised an eyebrow. "Please never do that again."

I snapped my fingers.

"He wants a one on one. He wants an audience, to prove he is the victor. The Apex Predator."

The intercom crackled.

"Well done little spider. You have solved the puzzle." His voice growled as he appeared on the screens.

"You bugged STAR Labs? When?" Barry asked shocked.

Kraven was wearing a lion hide across his shoulder with the mane draped across the back and either side of its fade coming down like a vest around his chest. He wore the skin of a zebra as his belt with tiger claws attached to it. His pants were spotted like a cheetahs, a sniper rifle strapped across his back and a spear in his hand.

"It wasn't so hard to do." He said in his thick Russian accent. "You need to do a security upgrade."

"Why do you want to kill me?" I asked him.

He looked at me like I was stupid. "Kill you? I do not want to kill you. If I wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead."

"Then what do you want?"

"You said it yourself." He snarled. "I want to watch you fail. I want your city to watch you fail, For them to see me as the victor. The king of the concrete jungle. The Apex predator."

"Then why not just challenge me?" I asked.

He tssk'd. "Now where would be the fun in that. Cougar Stadium, tomorrow night at seven."

Caitlin looked up. "The Cougars play then, opening night. The entire city will be there."

"Why go after Nora and Thea?" I asked him.

"I took your girl, and your best friend. The two most important people from you. Consider it...playing with my food. I wanted to watch your heart break." He hissed.

"I want proof of life."

He smirked and stepped away from the camera.

I flicked my wrist towards Chester as he got the hint and immediately began working away on the computer.

Thea was there. Barely moving. Her face was bloody and her hands were tied behind the chair as well as her feet.

"Your friend has five minutes he said holding up a timer." He said to me. "Then boom." He finished mimicking an explosion with his hands.

"Chester!" I yelled to him.

"Almost got it." He replied.

"What's to stop me from bringing you in when I get there."

He cocked his head. "Oh, I'll already be gone."

The screens cut to static and the intercoms fell silent.

"Got it!" Chester yelled. "Lincoln's Dairy Farm just south of the city."

"Lukas. You're not fast enough to make it there." Allegra said to me.

"But I am." Barry and Bart said at the same time their eyes flashing.

"No." I said pulling Velocity Ten out of my pocket. "This is my fight." I said to them as I injected myself with the fluid.

I felt the electricity begin coursing through my body before my eyes flash blue and I sped into my frictionless suit. I was out of STAR Labs in a flash and within a minute I was inside of the barn.

"How much time?" I asked Chester.

"One minute and fifteen seconds."

Thea sat a distance away from me barely conscious.

I saw her look at me as I approached her. She immediately began shaking her head rapidly.

I took another step confused and I heard a wire snap.

"Lukas. You need to get out of there. Whatever you did tripped a kill switch. You have three seconds!" He yelled through my mic.

Time slowed as I ran towards Thea, the barn began exploding behind me and I saw from under her chair another bomb had already blown and the explosion was slowly growing towards her.

I grabbed her and time sped before we were rolling across the dirt outside the barn.

"Luke?" Barry asked concerned through the comms.

I watched as what was left of the barn crumpled to ground. Just a charred pile of wood.

I pushed Thea over and felt her pulse for a heartbeat before releasing a deep sigh.

"Don't worry. I'm okay. We both are."

***
Thea's vitals beeped slowly across the screen as I watched her take deep breaths of oxygen. The blood had been cleaned off her face and her wounds had been stitched up where they needed to be.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked as Caitlin approached me.

Caitlin nodded. "She's gonna wake up with a nasty headache. Concussion, multiple broken ribs, she completely broke her Humerus, ulna, and the radius but she'll make a full recovery."

"Will she ever shoot again?"

Caitlin pursed her lips. "That'll be up to her. It'll be a lot of physical therapy."

I watched Thea take some breaths.

I don't know how Oliver, Barry, the others. How they all did it, the hero life. The sacrifices people made for them, did they carry guilt of the ones they lost?

Of course they did. They're still human.