Chapter Nine- Upgrades and a Spartan

"Why, are we up so early?" Thea asked me groaning as we stood in front of Barry's door.

"Excuse you, you've been sleeping in until twelve everyday for the last three months we've been unemployed." I said to her. "Back to work."

I raised my hand to knock on the door but the door flew open before I could knock.

"You guys ready to go?" He asked smiling happily.

I nodded.

"Iris, I'm leaving! Call me if you need anything, love you!" He yelled into the apartment before once again we disappeared in a flash of orange.

We arrived in the cortex where the entire team jumped up and yelled. "Welcome Home!" With a banner strung across the ceiling.

"Seriously?" I asked Barry. "This is overkill."

"Nah, come on. I brought waffles from Brussels." He said fake pouting.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I'll deal with it."

"Plus, it gives you a chance to meet the new team members." He said shrugging.

Thea didn't need to be told twice and was already chatting away with Frost and Allegra across the room by the original Flash suit.

I leaned against the main desk and accidentally bumped the security button as a surveillance video of Barry break dancing in the center of the room appeared on the screen.

"Um, Barry." I said to him. "Want to explain this?"

Barry choked on his waffle as he shut the video off.

"I was basically drugged." He said in his defense.

"Doesn't change how funny it is." I replied to him.

***
"So, your power is you can manipulate ultra violet waves?" I asked Allegra just making sure I was right this time.

"Yeah, it's alright. I don't get to use them much." She said to me.

"Well, Thea over here roleplays as the girl from Brave." I said to her.

I earned a hard punch in the arm from my friend causing everyone else to laugh.

"By the way, your suit has some crazy tech." Chester said to me. "A suit that can fold itself into a carbon fiber Spider on your chest. Customized web shooters with multiple different options."

"Speaking of my suit, Chester." I said to him.

"You can call me Chuck." He cut me off.

I held out a piece of paper and put the Spider into his hands. "I had some upgrades for the suit."

He got super excited that I was giving him a tech job and nearly bounced out of his shoes.

"Whatever you want, Pal."

***
"People are getting attacked in the offices, in their cars, and even at home and seemingly at random." The tv said.

"You mean Godspeeds are attacking people in their homes now. So I could just be hanging out at home listening to my Nas-Nasty-Nas, drinking coffee and."

Chester was suddenly cut off by Barry flashing into the room clearly exhausted and injured.

"The Godspeeds are gone again." He said to us.

"You're hurt. What happened?" Caitlin asked him.

"They ambushed me while I was evacuating City Hall. I barely made it out in one piece." Barry said to her.

I quickly went and stabilized Barry by holding him up.

"Come on, let's get you to the med lab. Chester, can you call Iris?" Caitlin asked.

"No, no. She's still at home sick. Let her rest." Barry said waving Chester off. "Frost and Thea are still out there helping. Chester, how long was it before they showed up this time?"

"About Eight hours, but their movements are unpredictable and we still have no idea where they're going once they disappear."

Barry looked. "Can we figure out when they're gonna be back next?"

"I could start working on a predictive algorithm. If there's a pattern to their freaky-deaky moves. I'll find it." Chester said.

"Even if we figure out when they're going to attack next, we still have no idea what they want."

"Don't they want your speed?" I asked.

"The original six do and just as they were going to get it." Caitlin started.

"The other six showed up and saved you." Chester finished.

"Right, but why?" Barry said wincing in pain. "Why? I mean, how do we stop a Civil War. If we don't even understand why both sides are fighting."

Cecile walked into the cortex as I let Barry stand under his own weight.

"Hey. Has anybody heard from Joe. He left town with Kramer hours ago. I haven't been able to get ahold of him."

Chester and Cecile went back and forth for reasoning why she couldn't get ahold of her husband.

Hours later Barry tried to pull himself out of the bed.

"Easy tiger." I said to him.

"Yeah, you still have six broken ribs." Caitlin argued on my side.

"Not to mention the internal bleeding." Thea said. She had gotten back from helping evacuate the city about an hour ago.

"Another hour of speed healing, I'll be fine." He said pulling on his jacket. "The Godspeeds will be back soon. I need to be ready."

"Look, I've patched you up enough times to know this isn't about some broken bones." Caitlin said to him.

Barry pursued his lips and looked at me sadly.

"I had a dream about Nora."

I immediately froze and the color drained from my face. I saw Thea give me a saddened look as Barry continued.

"My Nora, from the future. It was the second one actually. This one she was so afraid. She told me the future had changed and that I needed to do something. I know it was just a dream, but guys. I'm really worried."

"Godspeed was Nora's enemy from 2049." I mentioned to Barry who nodded.

"If all these other Godspeeds are here now, what does that mean for my family's future?" Barry said. "What if that somehow means.."

"Nora doesn't exist anymore." I said connecting dots.

The thought crushed me. I watched her die but I knew she was still alive in her timeline. That was enough to give me peace.

I felt a soft hand on my back.

"You could check on her." Thea suggested.

Barry shook his head. "I want to, but I'd risk causing another Flashpoint. Plus, more Godspeeds could show up at any moment."

"Then you couldn't fight them here." Caitlin nodded. "I get it, you're right."

"I can't leave. Not while there's a civil war in the city."

Heavy footsteps echoed through the hall and a large man walked through the doors.

"Maybe, I can help with that."