Chapter Twenty Seven- The New Guy

Two Days Later...

Nora sulked over her cup of coffee as she sat alone at Jitters.

Lukas still wasn't awake, his face covered in bandages. He'd be okay, she knew that but she still worried.

What's up with that kid and comas.

"If your coffee sits there any longer you might want to put some ice into it." A deep voice said as he stood at the end of the table.

Nora sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Haha, sorry. I've just been thinking."

He shrugged. "Anyone sitting here?"

Nora shook her head. "I'm alone."

The man long black hair and black facial hair, multiple scars riddled his face but he had almost a comforting vibe. Trustworthy.

"What's going on?" He asked in a helping voice.

"It's my boy- well he's a friend but I don't really know what we are." She said to him after a moment of hesitation. "He's in a coma, badly injured. Car crash." She added to the next part.

"So, why are you here and not there?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

Nora shrugged. "Looking at him only makes me hurt worse, and I don't want to be clingy I suppose."

The man snorted as he took a drink of his coffee. "So, your 'boyfriend' is laying in the hospital in a coma and you don't want to be clingy."

Nora looked upset he didn't understand what she had meant. "It's complicated."

The man shrugged and stood up. "Well, I gotta get back to work but it doesn't seem so complicated to me." He said putting a piece of paper on the table. "Call me."

Nora looked at the phone number that had been initialed by "S.K."

"Hey." Nora said turning towards the door but it was already closing. "I never got your name." She finished to herself.

Her phone buzzed instantly shaking her out of her thoughts about the strange man and went back to Lukas.

"All procedures complete. Lukas's body is shrapnel free." Caitlin had sent a text letting her know of Lukas's condition.

Nora stood up and winced a little bit. Her back was still sore, but more of a type of sore you get after working out, you can still function and do everything but not painful.

She pushed the door open and disappeared in a flash of purple.

***
"Is he awake yet?" Nora asked coming in while Bart had his feet up on the desk of the cortex and Caitlin stood behind the desk speaking with Barry while showing him the iPad. Thea was asleep in the chair next to his bed where Lukas's face and body was still covered in bandages.

Bart looked at her. "Wouldn't you like to know? Where have you been by the way? Thea hasn't moved since you disappeared."

Nora looked at the floor. The guilt she had in her gut from not being here was tearing her apart but seeing the condition he was in made her want to break down and cry. A knot of jealousy tied itself in her stomach as she looked at Thea. One that was quickly untied.

"It's okay, Nora." Barry said coming to defend her while shooting a look at Bart. "He's still has awoken."

"And the burns?"

"They've almost completely healed, in just a matter of days." Caitlin said. "The result of the combination of speedster cells and his spider cells has increased his speed healing tenfold, rivaling that of you speedsters."

"Wait?" Nora asked. "His cells bonded together? I perfected velocity, that shouldn't happen. I know it shouldn't, I ran the tests."

"But it did." Barry said "But luckily it's had no negative side effects. It's like it chose him."

"Do you think he's becoming a speedster, organic speed?" Nora asked quickly moving past the fact her velocity didn't work. It had no negative side effects and now the serum belonged to Lukas anyway.

Barry shrugged his shoulders. "I don't think so? I think his cells mutated in order for him to be able to use velocity when he wants and not destroy his body while doing it."

"So, it's potential. The serum could never wear off?" Bart asked confused. "Or gradually decrease until it completely fails?"

Barry shrugged. "I still have investigating to do."

***
One Week Later...

Nora laughed as her and the man walked down the street together.

The man from Jitters.

Her mind still wandered to Lukas almost every chance it got but she had made a new friend in this crazy past she had been living in.

A distraction.

Only a couple days after their first meeting he finally texted back and Nora had never once remembered to ever get his name but they had hung out multiple times and genuinely enjoyed each other's company. Much to the displeasure of both Bart and Thea.

"Don't you find it weird you still haven't told him your name?" Bart would say. "Or even ask about his."

"Lukas, the man who is in love with you. Is in a coma and you're never around, now if it was really giving you that much depression and anxiety it would make sense but you're running about with some random stranger significantly older than you that you met in a coffee shop." Thea would snap at her.

Nora would remind them on multiple occasions that they were strictly friends and that her heart however confused it was belonged to Lukas.

"Then why do you need to be around that man then. Why wouldn't you be with Lukas." Both of her friends would scold her. "And what happens if Lukas thinks otherwise."

She had to admit the knot in her gut filled with guilt about potentially hurting Lukas but she felt Lukas would understand and trust her that as long as they were just friends it would be okay.

And the thought of Lukas, and the constant scoldings from Thea and Bart caused her to finally drop the bomb.

"Hey, I never got your name and we've been hanging out for close to a week now."

Her phone buzzed rapidly, a call this time. Not a text. She looked at it in her hand, Caitlin.

Her heart began to race, her hands were shaking and the man noticed. Even the slightest change in the wind, or an eye twitch. He noticed, it was weird.

"Take it." He said to her.

She nodded before answering the call and walking a couple feet away to talk.

"What's up?" Nora asked not wanting to get her hopes up.

"It's Lukas, he's awake."

Nora's heart exploded with excitement and her hopes were suddenly raised.

"Okay, I'll be right there." She said smiling from ear to ear as she hung up the phone and returned to the man.

"He's awake isn't he?" He asked smiling at her.

Nora nodded her head. "He is, so I really gotta go but I'll text you." She said going to turn around to walk the short distance back to her apartment.

"Hey." The man said to her.

"My name is Sergei Kravinoff."