Chapter Thirty- The Waiting Game

Rain ripped at the window of the forensic lab as I watched lightning strike on the outskirts of town.

I took a deep shaky breath as footsteps echoed up the stairs. I wasn't ready to talk, not yet.

"Hey, Luke." A comforting voice said from across the room.

My muscles relaxed as I realized it was only my sister.

"Hey, Maddie." I said not turning around. "What are you doing here?"

Her purse landed softly against the desk.

"I came to check on you. How are you doing?" She asked stepping up to the window next to me.

I trembled. "I don't know what to do. I already lost her twice. First to the lying and then she died. And now this."

"First of all, Nora is not the old Nora. You can't hold what the other Nora did, against her. Second of all, I think it would be in your best interest to talk to her, face to face." Madison said.

"I don't like that guy." I said to her.

She rubbed my back. "Hey, it's okay to be upset, jealous, betrayed. It means you're still human, you haven't became full spider yet."

I chuckled and turned around as I pulled a hand through my hair.

"Thanks, but that's not what I'm talking about. My spider sense went off like a fire alarm when I shook his hand." I said to her.

"Spider sense?" Maddie asked cocking her to the side. "What's that?"

I realized I had never told her what my spider sense was.

"Well when I got bit by the spider, it gave me a sixth sense. It's like intuition. It alerts me when danger is around. My body gets all warm, the hairs on my skin stick up."

Maddie sat on the desk.

"Well dad and I are heading back tomorrow, but I wish you the best with everything. Especially with Nora. She's a nice girl, and she loves you. She's just got a little bit of growing up to do."

My spider sense suddenly went off.

I turned towards the window.

"Is that it?" Madison asked.

An explosion suddenly ripped through the city.

I looked at Madison. "I gotta go."

She gulped and nodded as I jumped straight upwards through the ceiling window. I landed on the roof and pressed the Spider to my chest.

"We have an explosion at Central City General." Caitlin said through her mic. "Is anyone on comms?"

"I got it." I said as I placed my foot against the edge of the building and jumped, I flipped before my web caught against another building and I pendulum swung myself down the street towards the flaming building.

I landed softly on my feet outside in the rain as emergency vehicles arrived on scene.

The entire hospital was on the verge of collapse.

"Officer." I said turning to the police man.

He nodded at me.

"This hospital is going down, how many people are stuck in there."

The officer shrugged. "We have no way of knowing who got out and who's still in there." He said terrified.

"I need backup, there's too many people in the building for me to save."

My comms crackled with interference.

I patted my pockets searching for the Velocity X but found my thin pockets empty.

I watched as the concrete building began to crack up the entire side as the entire building became destabilized.

Two whooshes of air echoed behind me and Nora and Bart were standing there.

"Thought you might need help." Nora said giving me a small smile.

"What's the move, Spidey?" Bart asked dancing his feet.

"Clear the building, fast."

"What are you going to do?" Nora asked.

"Don't worry about me." I said as I used my force to jump towards the building, I began swinging around the base of the building webbing it all the way up the hospital to keep it as stabilized as I could.

Yellow and purple flashes went in and out of the building as the street began to fill with people.

A loud rupture sounded and a support beam had collapsed and the hospital was getting dangerously close to collapse.

I back flipped off, kicked the piece of rubble out and placed myself underneath the hospital.

The weight crushed me at first, threatened to break every bone in my body.

"Come on, Luke." I growled at myself. "Come on." I said I began to catch my second wind and I felt the hospital lift a little bit.

"Okay Lucas, everyone's out." Nora said over comms.

"I'm stuck." I winced. "Under the northeast pillar."

A streak of lightning appeared out of my eye and was tackled into the middle of the street as the hospital crashed around us.

My spider sense came to life and I looked down the street as a figure in animal clothing disappeared into an alleyway.

A hunter.

The hunter.

***
"He's here." I said to Thea as I pulled my mask off while I crawled through the window.

Thea nearly jumped off the couch. "Jesus Lukas, cant you just use the door like any normal person?"

I shrugged and threw my suit off. "I'm not normal."

Thea shrugged. "Who's here?"

"The man that's been hunting me, he blew up the hospital today." I said splashing water from the sink onto my face.

"He's coming after me."

Thea looked at me in shock. "How are you so sure?"

"Just a gut feeling." I said to her.

Thea walked around the couch. "Well we need to alert the team."

I shook my head and looked out the window. "He wants to prove he's the greatest hunter, I'm his deadliest hunt. I have to do this alone."

***
Nora sat at her desk in her apartment room. She groaned angrily as the machine she had been working on sparked again.

"I've been looking for this since Gideon told me it had went missing." A hand said picking it up off the desk.

Nora looked up with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry I took it, I've just been messing up so bad lately."

Barry patted her back. "It's okay, you just need a helping hand." He said as he twisted a few screws and reworked some circuits before the machine began to glow a soft red color. "That should do it. Are you sure this is what you want?"

Nora nodded. "I know my future has been changed, but I tweaked it so that I would remember my memories of Luke, and of you and mom and the rest of the team."

"But your journal." Barry said.

"I want to remember them, not just read them." She said as she twisted the ring in her finger.

Barry nodded. "I trust you."

"Thank you." Nora smiled as she slipped the ring over her finger.

Memories from her form life began flashing through her mind as tears instantly began to slow from her face.

"Cisco's a miracle worker. I can't believe Abra Kadabra got his hands on the Martian Memory Restorer." She said.

Barry gave a small smile. "Too bad we couldn't have gotten to him sooner."