Chapter Thirty One- Puzzle Pieces

A knock on the apartment door rang out extra early the next morning.

I opened the door to see Nora standing there shyly.

"Hey Luke, can we talk?" She asked me.

I took a deep breath as Thea got off the couch and walked to her room. I nodded and let Nora in who just sat at the kitchen counter.

"Nice ring." I said noticing it right away.

She gave a small smile. "It's a memory restorer, the project I've been working on since we stopped Godspeed."

My mouth opened and closed. "Wait, so you remember everything?" I asked. "Were you okay with that? Getting hit with all of those feelings and memories?"

She nodded as a tear threatened to break from her eye. She walked around the counter and hugged me as I was still frozen in shock.

"Luke, I'm so sorry for taking you for granted again, and again. There's really no excuse for it."

I patted her back.

"I know you are."

She pulled back. "So, you'll forgive me?"

I turned around. "Nora, I can't. Not right now anyway."

With my enhanced senses I swear I could literally feel her heartbreak and it wrenched my gut and I immediately felt guilty.

"I'm sorry, I keep forgiving you and it just keeps happening." I said to her. "I need to step back and really focus on what I want and what I need."

"Are you breaking up with me?" She asked starting to sob.

I shook my head. "No, I don't know,I just need time. To make sure this is the right thing."

She took a step backward and I saw lightning flicker under her foot. "I understand. You know where to find me when you're ready."

I nodded slowly before a flash of purple exited the door.

"So, that went well." Thea said coming out of her room and heading back over to the couch.

"It sucks, but it had to be done. As much as I love her, I need to put myself first sometimes."

Thea nodded. "You did the right thing. I'm proud of you."

My sense suddenly kicked into overdrive.

"Thea! Get down!" I yelled as an explosive device suddenly appeared outside of the window.

The bomb went off in slow motion as I watched the glass shatter before the impact crushed Thea sending her into the counter before reaching me and sending me into the wall knocking me unconscious.

I came to as smoke filled the air. The fire alarm was echoing through the apartment as a man in animal clothing and a silhouetted face walked over me whistling the tune to itsy bitsy spider.

He grabbed Thea by the hair and smiled at her unconscious body as he drug her towards the door.

He took one last glance back at me and held a knife to her throat.

"You have three days." He said before exiting.

***

"Thea." I said shooting out of the bed and walking to the Cortex.

"Don't worry Luke, we're already searching for her." Caitlin said.

Ringing filled my ears as I looked around the panic of everyone around the room.

A hand touched my shoulder bringing me back to reality.

"Are you okay?" Barry asked.

I shook my head. "I think I'm having an anxiety attack." I said starting to hyperventilate as the room began to spin and the walls began to close around me.

"Lukas, look at me." Caitlin said jerking my chin up. "In and out. Deep breaths. Just breath." She said demonstrating.

I followed her lead until it began to go away.

"Do we have any leads?" Chester asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing, he's a hunter. He hides in the shadows, camouflage and like a deer just when you think you're safe. He strikes." I said to them.

Barry, Bart, and Nora ran through the city never stopping over and over again in any attempt to find her as we scoured surveillance footage and anything that could help.

"He attacked the hospital, and then the apartment?" Allegra said. "That doesn't make any sense."

A light bulb suddenly flickered on in my head.

"It makes perfect sense." I said finally understanding.

"What are you getting at here?"

"Every since this started it's been subtle hints. Leading me places, leading me all the way back home. To Central City, he needed prep time. He's the Apex Predator." I said to them. "At least he was."

"Until you." Barry said starting to put the pieces together.

"He's not hunting me, like I thought he was. All these little rogues and side villains." I started. "He's been testing me. Until now."

"He's challenging you." Chester said to me.

I snapped my finger and pointed at him. "Bingo."

***
"I'll get one Flash." I said to the barista behind jitters as we were getting coffee while we discussed where Thea could possibly be.

We knew she would be kept alive for at least three days. He was a competitor, he would honor his word. After he wanted me.

"The Flash, eh." The man said. "I'm more of a Spider guy myself." A familiar deep voice said behind me as he ordered himself a Spider.

"Sergei." I said to him.

"Lukas, sorry about dinner the other night. Was never my intention." He said giving me a small smile.

My spider sense went off again, something was not right about him.

I shrugged it off. "Don't worry about it."

"So where's Nora?" He asked.

"Out of town, she needed a breather from work." I said lying through my teeth.

He read me like a book and nodded once. "Well, better get going. I have company I need to tend to."

He turned and walked out the door while I stood there frozen watching him exit the place. That's when it hit me, the build. The strength of his grip. Him getting close to Nora.

Like puzzle pieces everything began to make sense.

***
"What doesn't make sense is why Thea?" Chester asked. "Why not Nora?"

"Because he knows Nora is a speedster. He can't catch her." Allegra said. "And even if he did she'd just get out."

"I know who it is." I said with a pale face putting the cups of coffee down.

The two looked at me waiting for an answer.

"It's Sergei."