Chapter 10

I CURSED AS the shampoo stung my eyes

I CURSED AS the shampoo stung my eyes. I was blind enough already and this was not helping.

Rubbing my eyes in the shower I blinked a little trying to regain my vision. It hurt like a bitch.

I finished cleaning up before exiting the stall and went over to the sink where my towel was. The red material wrapped around my frame perfectly as I picked up my Juul and stared into the mirror taking a long drag.

Holding it in my eyes scanned the girl I now was. Her brown hair was a tangled wet mess that framed her pale skin. Her lips were chapped and turned down while her eyes that stared back were lifeless and utterly cold. Sometimes staring at myself made me cry. Who had I become?

And the hatred didn't only start with me it started with so many people. People who'd abandoned me, who neglected me, who didn't bother to check up on me, and who never loved me. It was their mistakes that burdened me. Their faults that signed my life. I was wiped out from happiness and now when I was at the very bottom of the ragged pit my arms were too tired to climb back up. Too tired to fall back down.

I blew the smoke out.

Picking up my moisturizer I slathered some onto my face trying to work the dull skin away. I basked in the rose scent moving onto my neck and arms. I applied some to my legs as well before moving on to combing my hair.

Tears spring at my eyes by the hard pulls. It takes a great ordeal of time before I can fully work it through and make it flow like that of Emery. People born with straight hair have a natural blessing.

There was a knock on the door alerting me. I cleaned up the place before answering it and seeing Emery waiting impatiently with a bathrobe and makeup bag. She flicked her eyes at me emotionless. "There's someone at the door for you." She said dryly bumping her shoulder to me and shutting the bathroom door.

Sighing I took another drag from my Juul and opened the door to see if it was one of the girls. It wasn't.

I blew out a frustrated puff of smoke to which he smirked and waved it away walking in without my consent. His eyes leisurely took me in with surprise and something else.

I crossed my arms arching the towel knot higher to cover myself. "Why are you here Mercer?"

He raised his eyes at the dejected tone but didn't push. "I'm just here to pick up my girlfriend." He shrugged.

I took a look at his outfit and was impressed, to be frank. He wore a white button-up that was hidden under a black sweatshirt. His jeans were ripped but they looked good on him tucked into his white Nikes. But my absolute favorite part of the outfit was his rings. I'd never let him know that though.

"It's a Saturday Mercer. I don't have classes and nor do you." I sigh checking my phone from the kitchen counter. In honesty, I was just checking if my mother had texted me.