Chapter 43

Status: Unedited

IT WAS OFFICIALLY the day before Christmas Eve and the house was filled with décor

IT WAS OFFICIALLY the day before Christmas Eve and the house was filled with décor. My personal favorite were the reindeer antlers Evan and I were wearing.

Aaron had gone out to get some booze and ingredients for his mother's famous Christmas cookies that I was excited about.

They were round balls of dough with a chocolate Center and powdered sugar coated around them. They sounded divine.

"Christmas tree time." Evan announced bringing in a large cardboard box of different streams of metallic streamers, stars and all sorts of things.

I bit into the chocolate poke stick and looked up at him. "Shouldn't we wait for Aaron?"

"Aaron hates decorating. For him the morals of Christmas are easy: receive presents." We chuckled as I got a stool (my short figure really was a nuisance) and a box of hanging lights for Evan to put around.

I shuffled through the box and laughed at the pack of Polaroid photos at the bottom. There were photos of Aaron and Evan with their Santa hats, them wearing white beards, Aaron using Evan as a reindeer and riding him. They looked incredibly young. My guess would be from 7-10. "We should put these up." I suggested. "String them up with the streamers."

"Now way am I putting a photo of me trying to twerk over here." Evan objected trying to snatch the photos from me.

"Oh, come on." I insisted. "Why let them go at the end of the box, yeah? It'll be fun and different." He gave up and helped me string them on the pine tree. We went around throwing streamers, bows and hanging ornaments until it looked about ready.

Evangeline clapped and gushed walking into the room wearing a maroon dress with silver jewelry. "It looks marvelous."

I chuckled straightening my own red dress I was wearing. I had paired it with antlers and Christmas socks because this was Christmas and I could go crazy.

Tomorrow we would wear sweaters anyway so might as well be uncoordinated today.

"I still decorate as if I'm three." I proudly put out eyeing the tree up and down. "What about the star?"

Evangeline held up the gold star in her hand smiling down at it fondly. "Aaron always used to do this. He would go on his father's shoulder and place it on top. He'd always state that he was the star so it would be fitting." She mused.

"We'll let him do it now too." I suggested. "I think he'd like that."

"How can you tell?" Evan sighed plucking a splinter from the pine tree. "He never shows his emotions anymore."

I looked own at the white plain carpet and formed an answer. "He does. He just isn't good at expressing them. But he does appreciate them." Evangeline nodded.