Chapter 17

"I CAN'T FIND this motherfucker anywhere

"I CAN'T FIND this motherfucker anywhere." Owen grumbled closing his laptop defeatedly. He was still angry as hell for failing but I had little optimism we would succeed anyway. "They must be good because I don't have a GPS track on them."

I lay in bed my palms on my eyes. After four hours I was exhausted. "I know. This is fucked."

"What's fucked is that they want five million dollars, Bryce. That's a lot and those threats are ruthless. You should report them."

"I can't. If I do then they'll find some other way to come after me. You saw what they said about my mom Owen. And she was in a car accident. She said herself that a red Mazda came out of nowhere." I groaned. I would have to make the money no matter what. Maybe I could secure a job.

"Well it was worth a try." He flipped his wrist nodding his eyebrows at the time. "I have to go. I have a date with Olivia."

"Oooh." I cooed at him. "Olivia huh?"

"Stawp." He rolled his eyes smiling like a six year old . "See you later Bryce."

"Bye. Have fun and be safe. In more ways then one I mean." I shouted out after him with a chuckle. My stomach rumbled indicating it was time for me to eat. I had not ate very much after the soup.

Placing my feet in my pink flip flops I got up to the kitchen to look for a cup of strawberry yoghurt. Luckily it was there. I ripped the foil and spooned a bite into my mouth happily. My mother would kill me for eating something cold while I was sick.

I already sneezed like six times on Owen much to his dismay. He had even gone as far as declaring to take a shower in bleach.

Footsteps on the wooden flooring upended my thoughts and I turned to see Aaron putting the matte kettle on. "Hello to you too." I say looking at the plastic bag in his pocket with a little unease.

"You seem jolly." He sighed turning around. I shrugged at him licking yoghurt of my finger. "Are we not going to talk about that." He asked crossing his arms and leaning on the white counter top.

I gobbled another spoon and furrowed my eyebrows. "What's there to talk about?"

He raised an eyebrow. "So you were good with that?"

"I don't know? It was just a spur of the moment." I admitted feeling a tinge embarrassed I had gone that far.

"And the kiss before that?"

I froze looking up. "Just a kiss. It was a dare remember? Had to keep our appearance up."

His blue eyes turned cold. "Right but how was our little session today an appearance?"

"Don't think too much about it, Mercer." I smiled turning away. A mistake I'd definitely not thought thoroughly of.

I looked at my phone to see the Amazon presents had been returned to my sisters yesterday. I was happy they received it. Sincerely at that seeming I was bitter around most people. And who could hate me?