Chapter 38

After walking up, the first thing Iris saw was the pair of worrying, brimming with tears eyes, and heard the elderly sweet voice of her grandmother, as well as the rushing worried voice of her grandfather calling the maids to inform the physician. But before she could open her mouth to inquire or to put their worries to rest, she felt a splitting headache.

She put her hands over her head, pressing it in the hope of relieving the pain a bit. She felt a familiar as well as unfamiliar energy surging from the surroundings inside her body, spreading, being absorbed by every inch of her bones, especially around her mana core.

The feeling was so overwhelming; it made her head ache pale in comparison, she can still feel her grandmother holding her hands even more tightly, her voice sounding almost faint, calling out to her again and again, asking her worriedly what happen? Is she alright? Was she hurting somewhere?

She can feel her senses getting heightened, the faint voice getting clearer, the frantic footsteps coming from the hall leading to her chamber, her grandfather's hand patting her panicked grandma's shoulder. With the rustling of leaves outside her window, the knights and soldiers training, the clinking of their swords against each other, she can even understand the anxiety of those soldiers, where they are putting their emotion and worry in their strikes while dueling with one other.

She doesn't know how much time has passed, she comes to her sense abruptly. She realizes that she has been half sitting, her back resting on the headrest, her wrist being pressed lightly by a royal physician.

She frowned almost out of instinct as she felt another wave of energy, but this time it's rushing towards her wrist from her mana core. Her senses are tingling, she has been practicing her abilities forever since she remembers her own existence, her senses related to her abilities were never wrong. Now as her senses tell her to be on alert of herself, she immediately realizes something is definitely not right, she turns towards the physician still checking her pulse, and retracted her wrist out of his hand.

She hurriedly said before anyone can have time to react, "keep distance, stay away from me! It's for your own safety, stay away!" emphasizing the 'stay away' in a very serious tone. 

The physician got startled by the sudden outburst but still got up, either way, taking a step backward. He gazed at the area where he was just checking the princess's pulse, the place where the princess's wrist landed on the bed, it had started to cover in solid ice, It made a feeling of chill run down his back. It frightened him to death.

It wasn't just him, everyone presented inside the chamber got rooted in their spot by events taken place.

The King and Queen of Arundel have heard of their granddaughter's Ice powers, have seen the aftermath of the incident which took place on Iris's first birthday but today is the first time they've witnessed it right in front of their eyes.

The old couple has a mixture of worry and scared expressions on their faces, the King of Arundel is still more experienced of unexpected as he regains his composure faster than anyone else present inside the chamber, he took a step closer to his granddaughter.

"Iris-" before could utter a full sentence, Iris interrupts him calmly, "Grandpa, please don't. Stay where you are, alright?" he stopped at her pleading words.

The ice around Iris's wrist is spreading, slowly, but it is spreading. She is trying her hardest to hold back the energy flow, but it can only slow down the speed. Despite energy struggle inside her, there are barely any emotions seen from her face other than a very slight frown.

She has her head lowered, her gaze fixed on the clenched fist of hers. Her eyes have a faint glint of fear, it has been the first time she had ever felt scared of her own abilities, it is the first time her abilities have not responded to her the way she wants them.