Chapter IV

It was 3 am roughly

It was 3 am roughly. Maybe 4. Emery wasn't wearing a watch. She found them annoying somewhat, the way they rubbed against her skin. The alarm she had set was buzzing frantically as she reached over to shut it off. Grumbling to herself, she stretched before heading down as quietly as she could, which notably was hard because it was dark and she was half asleep.

Yawning, she turned and glanced around the main sitting area of the house. The dark was always comforting for Emery, she loved the way that there was no light peeking at her. The dark protected her and made sure that she stayed warm and safe. The dark listened, she could whisper to the dark and it wouldn't judge her. Just listen. 

She slowly approached the kitchen before turning to see the backdoor opened. Wandering outside, sitting on one of the steps was Sirius Black. A cigar hanging from his lips. She watched as he slowly wrapped his lips around the cigar before letting his head drop back, releasing the smoke. 

She felt her cheeks flush deep red. She didn't know why she found that incredibly hot, but she most definitely did. Oh my, if Harry was right there. He would have screamed loud enough to alert the Dark Lord of his place. 

She moved to sit next to him, he glanced at her before going back to staring in the abyss. 

"What are you doing up so late" he murmured. He sucked in another breath, letting out the smoke. 

"Harry'll be awake in a moment," she said softly. He held the cigarette out watching as she held the bud to her mouth, breathing in the toxins and slowly releasing it. 

The two souls sat there together in the cold just watching nothing, occasionally passing a cigar around. There was a certain understanding in the air. 

Just as she claimed, small steps could be heard coming down the stairs. She heard a few missteps and stumbles before Harry saw the open backdoor. Peering outside, he immediately seated himself a seat below so that he could lean between her legs. 

He grumbled before nestling his face into her stomach. Soft breaths were heard, but she could tell that he wasn't asleep. She ran her fingers through his hair, massaging his scalp. 

"Wanna talk about it" she cooed gently, the boy was still half asleep but refused to close his eyes in fear. 

"I keep seeing these places, I've never seen them before," he muttered softly. Glancing at Sirius, she could see the concerned look in his eyes. They both weren't sure what was going, but it was definitely something big. 

"Do you mind baby" she questioned softly. When receiving a shake of the head she tilted his head slowly to look at her. Her eyes flashed a beautiful gold before she was taken deep into his subconscious mind. 

She had no clue where she was but she could see the reflection of a snake on the wall. A scaly pale hand floated just above her. She was suddenly taken back to the real world. She blinked once. then twice. 

"I've never seen that place before" she hummed quietly before turning to Sirius hands raised and placed on his temple gently. 

Her fingers were better than he imagined. They were soft like feathers and you could feel the gentle touch. They were surprisingly warm and floated on his temples. 

"But I haven't been a part of the wizarding world, you might" she commented before flashing the scene to Sirius. 

Sirius did indeed recognise the scene. "That's the department of mysteries" he spoke, his voice raspy from the cigar. He was just confused as the other two but decided that until more action was taken there was nothing to worry about. 

Looking back down at Harry she watched as a few tears slipped past his closed eyelids. She brushed them softly with the tips of her fingers. 

"Wanna go lay under the stars" she soothed softly. When she received a nod in response she pulled the boy up with her. She glanced back at Sirius before motioning with her head to follow her. They found a patch in the middle of the garden where the stars shone the brightest. Laying down Harry nestled next to her with his head on her chest and Sirius settled on the other side of her. 

Harry slowly turned to look up at each star he could say murmuring small sorries under his breath. His hand reached out to grab something to keep him steady and calm. Reacting quickly, Emery grabbed Sirius's hand and linking it with Harry's.

Harry tightened his grip on the hand before slowly bringing it to his chest, his eyes slowly drooping while he continued muttering sorries. Sirius couldn't help but watch as his godson slowly broke apart under the stars. Sure they all realised how cruel the world was forcing a child to undergo all the things he has, but not very much about the after effect it had on him.

"It started pretty young. He thought his parent's death was his fault. I reassured him all the time that it was definitely not and that their deaths were the fault of a very broken man. Then he came home the first year and the nightmares started. He'd feel guilty about leaving his friends behind, or harming certain people" She sighed, running her fingers through the now asleep boy's hair. 

"No one ever realises how much one could hurt on the inside" he quoted. He'd heard it somewhere but wasn't too sure. It stuck to him in a way, he knew it was most definitely true. 

"Do you mind carrying him up?" she questioned. 

"Of course not." He slowly picked up the boy and cradled him, with this head tucked into his neck. Harry automatically curled his arms and legs around the man before nestling his head into the warmth. He turned back to see Emery staring at them with a small smile. 

Walking forward they began the trek up the stairs to the room where Harry rested. Lowering him slowly onto the bed, he raked his hands through the boy's hair. He watched as Emery approached giving him a kiss on the forehead and whispering I love you. 

She didn't move for a moment though. She just kneeled by his bedside next to him. She couldn't help the tears that flowed down her cheek. She could feel Sirius's hand on her shoulder, offering her some comfort. 

Clearing her throat, she stood up before walking out the door and sinking to the floor of the hallway silently bawling. Sirius slowly sank next to her, offering her some comfort. She curls into a ball in his arm before silently sobbing into his chest. This carried on for a few minutes before her cries turned into sniffles. 

"How am I meant to just stand by and watch as my baby gets ready to fight" she sniffled. "How do I support him when everything in me is screaming not to." 

"How could they just expect my baby to save the world. He's only a boy" she claimed softly. Sirius couldn't understand the pain she was in but could only assume it was so much worse than his. 

"There's nothing you can do" he commented after a moment of silence. 

"Just be there for him"