Chapter XLVI

Sirius knew he had no right to feel angry at Emery, but he couldn't help it

Sirius knew he had no right to feel angry at Emery, but he couldn't help it. She lied to him and that hurt him more than she knew. All his life he'd been lied to. From a young age he thought that the way he was raised was normal or that his parents cared for him very much but in reality, it was all just a lie.

He'd thought the lies would eventually cease but they never did. They'd whisper to him at night and mock him in the day. The one person he thought would never lie to him did and he hated that no matter how many times she lied to him, he'd still love her. 

He heard a knock on his door. He knew who it was and wanted to avoid this conversation as long as possible, but he knew it was bound to happen. 

"Come in," Sirius whispered. The door creaked open and Emery appeared in the doorway, a guilty look on her face. 

"Hey" she whispered, sitting next to him. No one spoke a word in fear of breaking the plausible silence around them. Emery glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and took a chance to glance at him. He looked upset and it hurt her to know that she was the reason for his pain. 

"I'm sorry" 

Sirius scoffed. "For what? Lying to me?" At the sight of her confirmation, Sirius got up and started pacing at the answer.

"You think I'm upset that you lied," he asked in disbelief. 

"It is right?" 

"I mean sure you lying hurt, but that's not why I'm upset"

"I don't know then," Emery said frustrated.

"You made me think I actually had a chance!" He yelled. 

Had a chance? What did he mean by that?

"You made me believe that we could've actually been something" he whispered brokenly. 

Emery's breath caught in her throat. She knew the words that were about to fall out and she didn't know how to feel about it. One half of her was overjoyed but the other wanted him to withhold the statement to save her the grief.

"I fell in love with you," he said, looking her directly in the eyes. "Did you?"

Emery had never doubted her feelings for Sirius before, yet she found herself doing it now. Did she really love him? Or did she love the idea of being with him, mortally? Of course, she knew that she loved him and she loved being around him. But was that enough?

"I loved you" she whispered. Sirius could hear his heartbreaking. Had that meant she had stopped loving him?

"I really did and I think I still do," she said, looking up at him. He smiled lightly at her confession and wrapped Emery in a hug.

"I'm glad you still do" He whispered pressing his forehead to hers. His eyes flickered down to her lips. He couldn't believe he hadn't done this already yet he found himself excited. She glanced back at her to see her looking at his lips and he couldn't help the smirk that fell on his lips. 

He crashed his lips onto hers and kissed her for the first time that year. He melted into the kiss and poured all his emotions into it. 

Emery had read romance novels, even met the authors of some, yet she could find no words to express the kiss. It was pure magic, no fireworks no silly words, just pure magic. She smiled into the kiss and pulled him closer, moulding her lips into his. 

They finally pulled away and Emery couldn't help but let out a laugh, Sirius following after. 

"Wow," she murmured, still holding him close. He laughed swaying them slightly. 

"Wow indeed" he smiled, brushing hair away from her face. They spent the whole afternoon in the room talking and kissing and before they knew it, the afternoon faded and turned into dark. 

"I've got to go" she whispered but Sirius whined in protest. The man chose to hug her waist in return showing his protest. 

"I don't want to either, but there is something I need to do," she said determinedly. She got up and made her way to the door before Sirius interrupted her. 

"I know I have no right" he whispered. "But chose to live, not immortality" 

Emery clenched her eyes shut. She didn't want to choose, she couldn't just leave her brother alone and chose to be so incredibly selfish but she was so tired of living a life, a life with so much change. 

"I don't know yet," she said, her back to him. "But my decision won't just affect me, but everyone I know now" 

"I know," Sirius said. "But you deserve a break from life"

"Do I?" and with that, she exited the room.