Chapter XLIV

"Why isn't anything working?" Merlin asked

"Why isn't anything working?" Merlin asked. His sister and best friend were lying in Gaius's chamber unresponsive to any medication that was being fed into them. He was going to talk to Killgarah but wanted to check in and see if any non-magic treatments were working. 

"I'm not quite sure" Gaius pondered, walking around his chamber and plucking things off shelves. 

Merlin stormed out and made his way to Killgarah who had been waiting for him. 

"You've awaited this day young Warlock" the dragon uttered in pity.

"No" he whispered in horror. His mind flashing back to the prophecy he was told years ago.

"Only one can be saved"

He looked at the dragon with tears in his eyes and fell on his knees sobbing in sadness. He sobbed and sobbed until he had no more tears left to sob.

"I have to save them" he cried at the dragon.

Killgarah had lived for a very long time and in all his years he'd never met a kindness like Emery's. He knew that Merlin was going to chose Arthur but he found that he himself was rather fond of the girl.

She visited him often and kept him company on days where she couldn't sleep or had nothing to do. She never treated him like he was some sort of Jesus and never allowed Merlin to get angry at the old dragon.

"I can offer a solution" the dragon spoke. Merlin immediately looked up at the dragon hopefully.

"But this solution will not appease young Emery" he declared. So caught up in the moment, he didn't seem to care for what his sister wanted. He couldn't lose them both.

"What is it?" he asked. 

"You must seek out Reginald, they will help you find a cure. Once you exit Camelot's borders, follow the river down to a cave and in that cave you will find Reginald." Merlin escaped the dungeon eagerly but was stopped when Killgarah spoke again. 

"Pay heed to my words though, your sister will not be happy" he muttered, but Merlin was too caught up in the idea of saving them both he did not fully register it. He raced for a horse but was stopped by a certain lady. 

"I want to help" Morgana demanded. 

"My lady, you can't." Merlin tried but was interrupted by her. 

"My friend and brother are on that table! Do not tell me what I can and cannot do" she snarled. Merlin knew she was desperate but could not allow the lady to leave. 

"I need someone to watch them while I'm gone. Please, I need someone I can trust" he begged. This was precious time they were wasting. Morgana eventually agreed, albeit hesitantly. 

"You save them both you hear me" she boomed, her voice fierce with determination. 

"I will" and with that, he galloped off, following the instructions the great dragon had provided for him. He raced against the clock, urging his horse to go faster until it would collapse with a tire. 

He reached the cave and peered inside. It looked as if no one had inhabited it and was thoroughly confused at why. Wasn't this where Reginald lay?

Suddenly a dagger flung right past his nose catching the material of his necktie in the process. A beautiful woman stood there with a dagger in her hand. Her hair was in a pony tail and she wore thick hunting material, much like Morgana's. 

"Who are you?" He asked. 

"I've been waiting for you Emrys" she declared. She perched on a stone and looked at him. 

"I haven't got time for this, I'm looking for Reginald. Do you know where he resides?" The woman let out a laugh and didn't stop. She continued to chuckle only feeding Merlin's ongoing rage. 

"What's so funny," he asked bitterly. 

"I am Reginald," The girl said. 

"But you are a-"

"A woman? Yes, I suppose I am" Reginald chuckled. Merlin flushed red at the rude comment he made and looked apologetically at the woman. 

"Killgarah told me to visit you. He claimed you could save my sister and friend" he mentioned. Her expression grew serious. 

"I can Emrys, but I'm afraid your sister will not be happy with the decision." She murmured. Merlin shook his head, why was everyone telling him that?

"She'll learn to live"  He muttered, and the woman looked at him, her expression wiped of any emotion. 

"I can save only one of them." She started. "But I can save the other forever" 

"I don't understand," Merlin said with eyebrows drawn. 

"If I were to save Arthur, the only way to save Emery would be immortality" she spoke. Merlin understood what she was saying now and couldn't say he cared much. His sister would be with him forever and he wouldn't have to live alone forever. Or was that incredibly selfish on his part?

"Do it" he demanded. The woman looked at him before nodding her head in confirmation, closing her eyes. Merlin felt the magic flow through him and he knew the deed was done. 

"Emrys, hard times now approach you. Be careful" she muttered, before disappearing before his very eyes.

When he approached Gaius's chamber he saw both Emery and Arthur hugging and he was overwhelmed with happiness.

He jumped on the pair earning a laugh from Emery and a slight glare from Arthur, though there was no real anger in it.

They continued on with the lovely moment until king Uther wanted Arthur returned back to the castle.

Emery gave him a hug before glancing at Merlin. She'd never admit it to him, but she felt different and she knew that Merlin had something to do with it. She only hoped that he hadn't made a completely rash decision.

Once everyone had left, the twins made their way to their bedroom and crashed onto the bed. Merling noticed how unbelievably quiet his sister was and turned to glance at her, noticing her stare on the roof.

"How?" she questioned.

Merlin explained everything to the last detail gorging for a reaction but got nothing in return. He didn't regret his decision at the time and if anything, he was glad he made the choice. When he finished telling her, he paused to look at her, expecting an answer in return.

Emery turned to glance at him with tears in her eyes.

"What have you done."