Chapter XXXII

"Is this not a bit formal for me?" Emery questioned, glancing nervously at the mirror that stood in front of her

"Is this not a bit formal for me?" Emery questioned, glancing nervously at the mirror that stood in front of her. She tried to smile, but all she could do was look in wonder at the face that stared back at her.

"You look gorgeous" Morgana confirmed, adding the final touches to Emery's hair. 

"Are you sure my lady, these are all yours?" Emery asked hesitantly. She was only a commoner after all, and all these riches belonged to Morgana and the royal family. 

"You and Gwen are my friends. Everything that's mine is yours. And I told you to call me Morgana" she smiled reassuringly, patting Emery on the shoulder. Gwen came out from behind the screen in a beautiful blood red gown that looked absolutely spontaneous on her. 

Emery herself was wearing a emerald green gown that contrasted rather well with her pale skin. Her hair was in a low bun and strands continued to fall in front of her face, causing her to let out puffs of air in hopes of moving them. 

"You look lovely My-Morgana" Emery smiled. Her lady did look absolutely gorgeous in her midnight blue gown. 

"I'm excited" Morgana gushed, practically jumping. Emery let out a laugh before grabbing Morgana's arm and twirling her around, practically ballroom dancing. Gwen laughed at the two, before shaking her head when Emery attempted to dip Morgana, causing them to fall over. 

"We must leave now" Gwen told, as the duo smoothed out their outfits yet their smiles remained intact. They walked down the hall with their arms hooked together and laughs in their throats. 

"Sister dearest, swap with me?" A young man appeared, begging at the women with humour threaded in his voice. 

"Merls, Arthur won't be happy" Emery sung, tucking a lock of hair behind her brother's ear.

"Merlin! You have work to do!" Arthur yelled at the man, who was happily conversing with the women. Upon hearing Arthur's angry tone, he ducked behind Emery who was at least a head shorter than her brother. Arthur stopped a few meters before looking at the man incrediously. 

"I can still see you!" Arthur yelled in disbelief, eyes wide. The ladies giggled at the puppy face Merlin had planted on his face in hopes of dispersing a bit if Arthur's anger. It didn't work and Merlin need up sulking while Arthur reprimanded him about responsibilities and how honoured he should be to have such a job. 

The ball began and it was truly vibrant. Emery wasn't much of an extrovert but she loved the lights and the dancing. The joy that circled the room filled her with warmth and she couldn't stop the overwhelming smile that flooded her face. 

Arthur and Morgana were the main stars, welcoming and enjoying themselves. Morgana loved these balls but sometimes found them slightly boring so the girls and she came up with a system to keep her engaged. She watched as Emery glanced at the man next to her before swiping her tongue across her lips which led to an unladylike snort that had to be covered up with a cough. 

"Are you alright my lady?" questioned the man next to her. 

"Oh yes, my apologies" she stated, rubbing her chest sending a silent glare at Emery who responded with a cheeky grin. After a moment, Arthur turned to Morgana with a curious look on his face. 

"What was that?" he questioned. 

"What was what?" Morgana replied with. 

"Don't lie, I saw what Emery did"  Arthur argued. 

Morgana sighed before relenting.

"It's code, that one she just did, signified her... lusting for the man" she told. Arthur turned to look at the man next to her before scrunching up his nose in disgust. 

"That's-"

"I know" Morgana continued. 

"He's-"

"Old. I know"

"How could she-"

"Trust me, no idea."

As the siblings continued to banter, Merlin couldn't help but glance at the older man that sat away from the table. The first time he glanced, he noticed that the man was already looking at him, in a seriously creepy way. 

The party continued on with Morgana dancing with men from different countries, her brother and of course Emery, although Emery did get a thorough scolding from Uther. Not that it did much. Uther had learnt that Emery was a light and easy going person, it was incredibly hard to get mad at her. 

Once the party had slowed down Merlin turned to see the man was walking out of the ball room. Seperating from the crowd, he continued to walk but stopped when he couldn't find the man. Turning around in a circle, he realised that the man was truly no where to be found and decided to head back inside. 

"There will come a time young Warlock" 

Merlin turned in wonder, trying to find the voice but came up short handed. 

"Who's there? Reveal yourself" he demanded from whoever was speaking to him and knew of his secret. 

"There will come a time young Warlock" the voice repeated. "Where you must chose between two you love most. One that will help the future of magic and the creation of Albion and another the love and history you share. When the time comes young warlock, only one can be saved." The voice projected into the emptiness of the hallway. Angry tears appeared in Merlin's eyes. Who was that voice to tell him who he had to save?

Stomping his way back inside, he mingled with the crowd before his attention was drawn to two figure conversing in the corner. His brain clouded with memories and his ears rang in horror. Merlin turned and irevocable shade of white and his eyed widened. 

Emery had been laughing at a story Arthur had told her about Merlin's misfortunes when she turned to see her beloved brother so pale. Worried she turned to Arthur, who had noticed as well. They both began to walk up to the frozen man who wanted nothing more to run and hide away from everything that had just occurred. 

"Only one can be saved"