Chapter XLVII

"Merlin I know you're in there" Emery screamed through the door

"Merlin I know you're in there" Emery screamed through the door. "Open up"

Merlin knew he was being incredibly childish but that didn't stop him. He loved his sister more than anything and in all his years of immortality, she had kept him going, kept him happy. Merlin had no one else. He wasn't as brave as Emery was and never attempted to make friends or fall in love. 

If Emery chose to live a mortal life, what would Merlin do? Who could he honestly talk to when she was gone. Who would be the constant in his life? He knew it was incredibly selfish of him to want her to stay immortal, but in his case what else did he have? He knew very well of his sister tire of the real world and her longing to leave it behind and go see her deceased friends but he didn't get the luxury. 

"Merlin please" she begged. The man in question reluctantly opened the door and Emery entered the room and sat in one of his armchairs, almost hesitantly. 

"Please" she pleaded. She knew her brother and she understood where he was coming from. That's what made the decision so hard, if she wanted to stay immortal she'd have to see her son and love of her life die, but if she chose to die mortally she'd leave behind a brother with no option. 

"I'll always respect your decision" he commented, watching as she practically sagged in relief. "But that doesn't mean I have to like it."

"I know" 

"Then you'll understand how much I don't want you to make this decision." Emery could feel tears welling up in her eyes. Why did she have to make this decision? What if she flipped a coin and allowed the fates to chose for her? She wanted her brother to live a life with her there, yet she never wanted to live a life without Sirius or Harry. 

"I-I" she stuttered but her brother held up a hand stopping her.

"I'd be a bloody awful brother if I neglected you happiness" he sighed, sinking down to the ground directly opposite her. Emery stifled a sob at his response. 

"I want you to be happy" he whispered, placing his palm on Emery's cheek. She leaned into his touch looking him directly in the eye. "And if that's without me, I'm more than happy with you choosing to be mortal."

Emery had always looked up to her brother. He was the strongest person she knew, she'd ever know. Seeing her brother on his knees in front of her, hearing the crack in his voice, the misty look in his eye, it was all too much. Merlin had never been fully happy without Arthur and there was always something missing, like half of him was gone. She knew how much Arthur's death haunted Merlin and she hated that he had no reassurance that Arthur had forgiven him.

Would Arthur hate her for making such a decision? Would the people she had lost hate her? Would they call her a coward and chuck their words at her back or would they understand and empathise her? 

She felt horrible. She could feel it clawing at her insides and scratching at her throat. Her brother had provided her with everything and looked out for her yet she know she was leaving him for her own happiness. Did she even deserve it? The happiness? 

"Hey now" her brother called, bringing her out of her thoughts. "I'll love you no matter what" he whispered, cherishing the feeling of her next to him. Who knew if it may be the last time. 

"How do I choose," she asked. Merlin shook his head with a watery smile playing on his lips. She had always gone to him for advice, whether it be on a dress that she loved or an opinion on something that was troubling her. 

"I think you already know."