Chapter XIII

This place was posh

This place was posh. She wished she didn't have to bring Harry with her, but he seemed to enjoy leaving the house. 

She sat in the hotel room and watched as Harry waddled around the room, touching and stuffing anything he could in his mouth. She had a gentle smile on her face. 

Curiously, Harry approached Emery. He seemed to sense that she wasn't in the best mood so attempted to soothe her by babbling. He was right, Emery always loved when Harry would attempt to talk to her. 

Deciding to face her fears straight on, she gathered Harry in her arms before strolling out of the room. They both went down to the dining hall, picking a table closest to the window. Harry was absolutely mesmerised. 

She took a seat and offered Harry a croissant that she had grabbed before they had sat down. He eagerly reached for the treats before gnawing on the bread. Chuckling to herself, she grabbed a small camera that she had and snapped a photo of him. 

"He's adorable." She froze. She hadn't heard his voice in so long. To be half honest, she couldn't remember the last time they had spoken. 

She turned around slowly to gaze at the man standing behind her. His hair now reached his chin and he had a piercing through one of his ears. He looked a lot different since she had last seen him, but no matter what, she could recognise him anywhere. 

"He is, isn't he?" She replied, looking down at baby Harry. As if noticing the stares he turned to glance at the man behind Emery. He reached forward babbling about nonsense and waving his croissant everywhere. 

"Why?" He questioned. She lowered her gaze onto the table before gesturing for him to sit down opposite her. He sat down before glancing at the baby again. 

"How could I? I wasn't going to leave him there." She scowled. On the first few days of having Harry, she travelled back and forth to deem if the family was safe but came to the untimely decision that they were most definitely not. 

"You have to take him back." He reasoned. His sister was important to him, more important than anything in the world. She was putting herself through so much unnecessary pain. They both knew that the boy would survive in the care of the Dursley's, but she wanted him to have the best life. Not just survive. 

"I can't," she whispered. He froze in shock. The child had been in her care for a month and there was already an undeniable bond between the two. You could see the admiration that she held for him and the attachment he held for her. He hadn't realised how close they were until now and was nervous at the outcome. He knew nothing good was going to come out of this, but he couldn't deny what was staring right at him.  

"Emery, I'll always support your decision. But this... this is too much." He ground out. She looked at him in surprise. This was too much. He had always supported her decisions, that she knew, but when she makes a life-altering one he can't?

"I'm not giving him back," she growled. Harry was practically hers and she was going to do everything in her power to make sure that it remained that way. 

"Emery, pleas-" he began but was cut off by Emery. 

"Was there a reason for this meeting," she asked coldly. She shifted Harry onto her lap, holding him securely. As if sensing to tense mood, he thrust the croissant at the opposite man watching as the slobbery bun hit him on the forehead. 

Emery giggled. 

"Yes Harry, what a smart little baby" she cooed. Accepting all the praises, he wallowed in them before turning to the man, almost smug. 

He cleared his throat. "I came to give you my results," he began. Emery had his undivided attention. She needed answers and her brother had promised her that he would find them. 

"Yes?" she questioned eagerly. 

"Nothing again. They said that they'd never heard of a case like this before." He sighed softly, he could see the devastating face that painted hers. 

"I'm sorry Em," he whispered apologetically. 

She turned to glare at the man. She picked Harry up placing him on her hip while grabbing all the belongings she had brought with her to the dining hall. 

"You don't get to be sorry Merlin." She hissed. Her anger consumed her being. 

"I know," he said back. 

"Don't call me until you have good news," she replied. She turned to walk away but her brother caught onto her arm. 

"I really am," he begged. 

"No, you're not. If you were, I would be dead."