Chapter XVI

Emery has always loved Christmas

Emery has always loved Christmas. I mean who wouldn't? The snow as pure as can be, cuddling under a warm blanket, fuzzy socks? What wasn't to enjoy.

Emery and Harry had heaps of Christmas traditions. They'd listen to Christmas Carols and make funny shaped cookies which they'd end up eating before they even went into the oven, they'd make a snowman and name it something stupid before cataloguing it into their Christmas album or if they preferred a quiet year, they'd stay up late watching Christmas movies till the early hours.

Emery had received the news that Arthur Weasley was in hospital in critical care. She prayed for him and his family in hopes that he would be able to pull through. What she hadn't found out till later on, was that Harry had dreamed about it.

So when Harry returned to Grimmauld Place that Christmas he ran straight into his mother's arms and refused to leave them. They stood in the hallway wrapped in each other hold.

Reluctantly letting go, Harry looked up at his mother who was looking at home with a gentle look on her face.

"How are you sweetheart?" she questioned, gently brushing the hair from his face away.

Harry let out a deep sigh. It would be a lie to say that he was great but he didn't want her to fret over him and ruin their Christmas together.

"I'm alright" he replied, giving her a hesitant smile.

She looked down at him before sighing and nodding along at his acting. If he had told her that he was fine she'd play along until he felt the need to come to her.

It was a normal thing Harry had done from a young age. When he was roughly 6 she remembered that he had had accidental spouts of magic. He was so worried that he didn't tell her, she knew something was wrong of course, but she didn't want to pressure him. It had lasted 5 days before Harry broke and went to his mother begging for help. She had laughed before reassuring him that it was normal because he was a very special child.

The two ventured down to the dining hall while the Weasleys sat towards one end with wounded Arthur Weasley. She watched as they made a toast to Harry for rescuing Arthur. She noticed how his emotions pinched.

Harry was glad that he knew of the attack and that Arthur Weasley was safe, but he wished that he didn't. He wished that he wasn't connected to the evil human who was powering all the attacks. He wished that he was normal.

Secretly, he wished that he had a life like Ronald Weasley's. No fame, no snide comments, no secrecy. Just normal. He wished he had a big family with a lot of siblings, stress over stupid exams, not have to worry about stupid Voldermort and his plans to kill him.

To be a teenager.

Although all the above are true, the one thing Harry longed for more than anything, was to meet his real parents again. He loved Emery to bits and undeniably wouldn't give Emery up for anything. But he did want to see and have his real parents.

To know his mother's favourite food, to see his dad's eccentric eyes, to feel his mother's hair or just kiss his parents goodnight.

It wasn't a secret exactly. Emery knew of his desire to meet his real parents and could understand his pain. Though hers was different they both longed for deceased people that they once loved.

"Merry Christmas lovie" Emery whispered into his ear. He smiled at her before whispering it back.

Sirius who was sitting directly across them watched as they whispered and giggled to themselves. He smiled slightly at the sight in front of him. It was adorable.

They all munched on the food in front of them temporarily forgetting about the looming danger. They smiled and shared laughs over a good dinner before retiring to the sitting room where a huge Christmas tree sat.

Emery took a place next to Sirius who was situated at the corner. Harry then sat on the other side of Emery snuggling close into her warm hold.

The silence was engulfing. We all know how much Emery hated the silence so by now we'd all know about her need to rid of it.

"You up for anything this year?" she questioned Harry. He looked at her reluctantly. He loved eating cookies but this year he wasn't in the greatest of moods. He shook his head slightly, indicating his answer.

"That's fine" she replied before waving her hand. The lights dimmed significantly before popcorn and small Christmas treats appeared in front of them. Playing on the magic screen was the Grinch. One of Harry's favourites.

It was one of Harry's favourites because it scared Emery shitless. She hated the green monster with passion, not because of his face of attitude. But his fingers. His long fingers were what scared her the most.

She watched as a smile lit up on Harry's face. He had loved the movie from a young age and it brought back good memories. She turned to look at Sirius's face to see a nostalgic look on his face.

Sirius remembered the years together when Lily would play the grinch in hopes that it would frighten someone. It usually worked on James, but it became a favourite when Harry himself took a liking to the green monster.

A wave of sadness washed over him. He'd never hear Lily yelling at James again or James making jokes with him about Remus's 'time of the month'. He blinked away tears that were threatening to fall. He wished more than anything that there was a way he could bring them back or trade places. He could see both of them in everything Harry did. The way he scrunched his nose up at grapes like Lily or the way he tapped his fingers on the armrest to the beat of the Chudley Cannon's anthem.

Before he could give more thought to it, a hand grabbed his. He looked over at Emery to see her looking at the screen. Squeezing her hand gratefully he soaked in the comfort he had received.

He remembered how Lily was to James. How she comforted him whenever he was upset. How she respected his thoughts and actions but never let him walk over her or her morals. He adored their relationship and loved the way they fit together, kind of like puzzle pieces. 

Maybe Emery could be his Lily?