Chapter XXI

Today was an overall quiet day

Today was an overall quiet day. Remus was out doing whatever and Tonks decided to accompany him. She giggled at the reaction from Sirius when he found out that his younger cousin had a crush on his friends. Emery had to play the pacifier but did a pretty terrible job as she couldn't stop laughing.

Emery was bored out of her mind. Without Harry to bug she constantly found herself wandering around the house in hopes of something to do. She had stumbled upon Walburga's portrait once after the incident but made sure to steer clear of it, well as much as she could.

Emery decided that the next best thing was the bother Sirius with whatever task he was attempting to do. The keyword in that phrase is attempting. After watching the muggle show Criminal Minds, he decided that he was going to attempt to get a degree in criminology which turned out to be a lot harder than it looked. It was still an interesting course to complete.

After that, he decided to watch another muggle show called Supernatural. That show did wonders to his mental health and he soon became paranoid that demons and ghosts were roaming around the manor and were going to kill him at night. It took a lot of convincing from both Emery and Remus before they both decided it was best that he took a break from any muggle TV shows.

Trudging up the stairs she pushed open Sirius's room door and dived into his bed. She wriggled up to where his head was situated and proceeded to poke him in the cheek.

Sirius, who had been fast asleep woke up to the feeling of someone poking him. He swatted the hand away and fell right back to sleep, only to feel the poking again. Opening his eyes, he came face to face with Emery.

"Go away" Sirius moaned, before shutting his eyes and trying to sleep again. Emery sighed out in boredom before speaking.

"I'm bored" she whined. Sirius turned to glance at her before bringing his arm to her and holding her close to him.

Emery froze in shock. This had been the closest they had even been if you didn't consider the morning endeavours on the couch. She lay there stiff, unsure of what to do.

"Will you relax" Sirius murmured to her before bringing a book from his nightside table and holding it out for him to read.

"When he was nearly thirteen my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow." Sirius read. Emery was familiar with this book. To Kill A Mockingbird was one of her favourites. She only wished she had gotten to meet the author once.

She listened to him speak with her head on his chest. His heart thumped with rhythm and she found herself gradually calming down.

His voice rumbled and he spoke like he was singing. The baritone rumble soothed her and brought her a new kind of peace.

Sirius continued to read to her watching as she closed her eyes in serenity. She relaxed on top of him curling into him almost sucking all the warmth.

He found himself forgetting to read sometimes and just glance at her in wonder. She often turned her head in question but he'd continue to read like it was nothing. Regardless of the attempt, Emery would catch his ears red like a tomato.

He continued to read to her for several moments before he could feel her breaths coming out in even puffs.

Glancing down he couldn't help but admire her. Emery looked peaceful in her sleep as if there were no problems or struggles that she had to worry about. Even though there weren't together he was more than grateful to have her in his life.

He remembered how in his younger years he would play his way through Hogwarts, never stopping to think about love and the chances he would have.

Love was always a funny topic for him. He loved the idea of it, longed for it even. He never grew up with love from either of his parents but liked to think that he and Reggie both loved each other.

He loved Remus and James but that was a different love to what he was talking about. His love, if you could call it love, for Emery, was different.

It was complete adoration. He loved the way she was, the way she acted, the way she felt, the way she made him feel.

It was like a drug. She kept him hooked and begging for more. She made him feel as if he were the only man on earth. She made him feel like love was the only thing he needed.

He considered the thought of Armontentia but ruled it out when he realized she wasn't that cruel.

He wished they could be more, more than anything, but what if Emery didn't feel the same way? What if she looked at him as a friend? What if they were never meant to be?

He looked at her again. He longed to kiss her cherry lips, to be able to wake up next to her every day or make memories with her till they both grew old.

Placing the book on the nightstand, he wrapped his arms around her and cuddled into her warmth, closing his eyes.

Now, if someone were to walk into Sirius Black's room, you could find Emery and Sirius cuddled up in bed wrapped in each other's embrace. No sign of anything but peace, nothing but tranquillity. A pure sight of love sheltered by the fear of rejection.

Yet still pure love.