Chapter XLII

There was an unsettling darkness around her

There was an unsettling darkness around her. Well, it was unsettling darkness but it faded into warmth. Emery sighed in utter pleasure at the warm feeling that flooded through her skin, kissing the tips of her bones. 

"Young Witch" A voice echoed into the darkness. Emery groaned not wanting the leave the warmth that she found around her. 

"Emery you must awake" The voice boomed. She reluctantly opened her eyes and noticed the dark forest around her. There were tall trees towering over her and a lake as crystal clear as raindrops that lay on the leaves of small bushes that lay around her. There was an ominous statue of a fallen angel directly across from her and a tall man leaning on it gently.

The man had dark black hair and bright gold eyes. His skin was pure and pristine and was dressed in a black suit. His face was wiped clean of any emotions with only the slight smirk playing on his lips. Emery would've thought he looked like an angel, but the black did nothing to support her arguement. 

"Who are you?" She asked, gently rubbing her forehead. The man looked at her with an eyebrow raised and beckoned for her to stand up. She wobbled to get up and slightly buckled at the pressure that lay on them. She finally noticed the sheer black dress that she wore, it wasn't what she had worn before but she wasn't hating it. The soft material swayed slightly in the breeze and hugged her figure. All of a sudden it hit her, where was she?

"Harry?" she asked cautiously. 

"He's alright" The man reassured, and Emery silently gasped when she saw her son frozen in time with a solemn look on his face. She turned to glance at Sirius who in turn looked absolutely heartbroken at the woman who stood in front of him, protecting him from the green curse flying at him. 

"How?" 

"It's all stopped. You're a very important person to this timeline young Emery" The man drawled, taking her attention away from the scene and returning it to the statue and pond. 

"Who are you?" Emery asked. 

"Has it really been that long?" He questioned. Emery tried to rack her brain to connect the face with her past but came up blank. As if noticing her blank stare, the man chuckled.

"I have never taken this form before," he said. "But you know me in another form, a form from your first life."

"You old man!" Emery shrieked, tackling the gentleman into a hug. She grinned happily, her old friend had passed long before her and she was more than delighted to see him again. 

"Yes, yes it is a great pleasure to see you again young witch," the man said, a nice smile on his face. 

"I told you to call me Emery, Killgarah" Emery reprimanded, a light smile on her face. The man shook his head before hugging his pupil for the first time in a long long time. 

"What's the meaning of this?" she questioned. She was happy to see Killgarah after a long time but could not understand the meaning of this conversation. She couldn't die, so why was she here?

"You fret my lady, calm down" Killgarah reassured, gesturing to sit next to him by the pond. Though confused, she sat down next to him, watching as her dress skimmed the top of the water before sinking down. 

"You have mingled with fate my lady" Killgarah spoke, his eyes twinkling. "Just like you did all those years ago." 

Truth be told, Emery was never meant to happen. Merlin was meant to be an only child but somehow, a child popped out with Merlin and became his twin sister. 

"That's my job" she chuckled. 

"You have lived a hard life" he whispered, placing his hand lightly on her hand as if to comfort her. She didn't dare speak a word, scared of the outcome. So Killgarah continued to speak. 

"In spite of this, you have remained strong. The fates have decided to be ever kind to you and have blessed you with two options" 

Emery turned to confused. She had never thought that the fates took pity for her, hell she didn't know they even felt. 

"Your first option being you stay forever immortal and accompany your brother in his lonely life or you can choose peace and die the second time you are attacked." 

Emery's heart broke. She loved her brother very much but she hated living. She wanted nothing more than to pass away and join all her loved ones in this paradise. Yet she didn't want her brother to live alone forever, at the very least he had had her company and she was glad that she wasn't fully alone in her time alone. Yet Merlin was to blame for her misfortune and she never asked to live forever, heck she doubted she was meant to. 

"I-I don't know" she muttered looking at the water, afraid to meet her mentor's eyes. She felt his hand on her shoulder and glanced at him to see him smiling at her. 

"It is a hard decision to make young witch, do not fret if you cannot decide just yet. You will be returned to the timeline unharmed, but a decision must be made soon otherwise the fates will decide that you will remain immortal" Killgarah explained. 

"How do I tell the fates," Emery asked. 

"On the night of Christmas, at 12 am, you must walk to the lake near Grimmauld Place and place this in the lake and the fates will know." The thing he was referring to was a small bead on a necklace. It was nothing special but she guessed that's what made it special in the first place. 

"You must leave now" Killgarah sighed, standing up and brushing the dirt off his suit. 

"Will I see you again?" she asked, standing up as well. 

"That depends on your decision" he murmured, smiling slightly. Emery watched as his body disappeared into nothing and she found herself staring right back at Bellatrix in the face. The woman looked confused, the killing curse had hit her. She should be dead. 

"MAMA!" She heard Harry scream. The woman in turn blasted Bellatrix, watching as she flew backwards and hit the wall. She saw Harry exit the ministry, to try hit Bellatrix for attempting to attack his mother. 

She followed him and came face to face with her son being possessed by the dark lord himself. She stood there with silent tears running down her face, watching her child writhe in pain as the dark lord attempted to possess and take him. 

With much convincing from Dumbledore, Harry soon realised that he had so much that Voldermort did not and that was what made him powerful. He had his friends, mother, godfather, love, happiness and everything the older man did not. 

Emery watched as the dark lord stood in all his glory, with a wicked smile on his face. Voldermort analysed all the people standing there and stopped his gaze on the woman next to Sirius Black. 

"You!" he snarled at the frozen woman, who stared back at him. "How are you alive?" 

Emery couldn't reply. Only stare at the small child she knew years prior. Before Voldermort could ask more, the minister and press apparated to the department forcing the dark lord to diseppear and hide. 

Everything was loud but Emery could only feel the stares of the rest of the order on her. She didn't meet any of their gazes only staring at the place the dark lord had just vanished from. When she did turn back, she noticed the defensive stares everyone had on their face, even Sirius. 

Now came the hard part.