51

—SEOUL, SOUTH KOREAhannam-dong, UN Village

—SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
hannam-dong, UN Village

"Myeonji, you haven't touched your food," Hana placed a gentle hand over the young girl's shoulder. Despite the delicious looking pancakes set in front of her, Myeonji never even picked up her fork. "Are you sure you want to attend school today? I can call the office and—"

"No," Myeonji finally spoke, shoving herself up on her feet, no sort of interest in her food on her face. "I'm not hungry, thank you for the food," She answered, sparing no glance towards her maid and picking up her backpack next to the chair she was sitting on. "I can walk today too, tell Naeun I don't need a ride." And with that being said, Myeonji walked away from the dining room and slipped on her shoes before stepping outside.

Just yesterday she had attended the press conference about her parents divorcing and it had brought a lot more troubles than Myeonji had ever faced before. Her father's company had its stocks plummeting and her mother—due to her being so famous—had sparked a wildfire of articles being written about her family. What was even more sad was that all of it, was nothing but the truth.

Mr. Hwang would be leaving to the U.S where he planned to fix his business and Mrs. Hwang would stay in Seoul, Myeonji guessed that she'd go and try and kickstart her acting career again. A single tear slipped down her cheek once she remembered that her mom would go back to being called Miss Kang. She wasn't even a Hwang anymore.

Fixing her grip on her backpacks strap, Myeonji wiped down the tear on her cheek and sped walked to the gate and out the neighborhood. She was too embarrassed and ashamed to even face her neighbour's too. Her family had deceived them into making them think that they were a picture perfect family, but it was all for show. Who knew if her neighbour's were mad or disappointed? Maybe they were both.

"Hey," A voice called out from beside of her as Myeonji started walking to down the hill towards the Banpo Bridge. She turned her head and couldn't help but smile slightly. "I knew you'd walk. Come in, I'll drive you to your school." Jungkook offered the teary-eyed girl a small smile and reached over to the other side and pushed the door open. Myeonji stepped in.

"How are you? I hate to be the one to bring it up, but, you know," Jungkook put his stick-shift in drive and soon, the two were already on the road to Hanlim. "You can talk to me, and if you don't want, to then that's fine too." He said so gently Myeonji couldn't help the next few tears falling from her eyes.

"I think I'm going to leave."

Jungkook's mouth opened a fraction, shocked by the sudden news. "What?" He asked, frantically trying to keep his eyes on the road and not on the teenage girl that was breaking down right beside of him. "What do you mean—where are you even going?" He had to know. If this was tough news on Jungkook, he couldn't even begin to imagine what Beomgyu would think.

Myeonji took a deep breath before choosing to answer the older boy's question. "I think I'm going to head to the States for a couple months—years, maybe. I don't fully know yet..." She gripped onto her skirt tightly, looking down at nothing as she felt too ashamed to face Jungkook.

"Did you tell him yet?"

At the mention of him, Myeonji looked up to stop the tears from coming. She couldn't tell him—she couldn't hurt him again. "I can't, Jungkook," She uttered, looking ahead of her now. "What if he hates me?"

"Then he hates you, Myeonji," Jungkook put the car in park as soon as he pulled up at the school's student entrance. He had also typed something on his phone but once he finished, he turned back to Myeonji. "Tell him if you do plan on leaving, seriously. Do it while you can and while he has time to cool down—to properly think about it." Jungkook nodded as the girl wiped her eyes.

"Thanks for the ride." Myeonji thanked the older and as he replied with a 'no problem', she placed her hand on the handle and pushed the door open. She exited the car and waved bye to Jungkook before walking up the long steps of the school all alone.

"There you are!" A pair of hands engulfed the girl into a suffocating hug. Myeonji's eyes went wide, but she hugged back nonetheless. "I'm sorry I couldn't attend the press conference yesterday—you know how badly I wanted to." Soobin continued, hugging her a little tighter now.

"It's okay, I told you guys you didn't have to come," She mumbled while pressed up against his tall, warm frame. "But, I wasn't completely alone. Beomgyu actually came." Her words made Soobin tense and let go. She found it odd, but copied his actions.

"He did?"

"Yeah, we went out after but other than that, I went home immediately to rest. I can't believe I'm in school right now," She chuckled, just now realizing that she should've have taken up Hana's offer about skipping school today. "Where are the others? Is Beomgyu here yet? Chaewon?" Myeonji asked as the two friends started walking to her class.

However, Soobin's strange behaviour threw her off. "Yeah, Chae's right ahead..." Soobin couldn't finish his sentence as soon as his eyes laid on the boy right across of him, waiting with open arms to embrace Myeonji. She ran past him and towards Beomgyu. "So is your boyfriend." Saying those words felt like a curse to say out loud to Soobin. He had been keeping it to himself all along because he knew how much they loved each other, but now, he felt annoyed.

Was Myeonji that stubborn? Why did he like someone as stubborn as her? Out of all the times they've fought, she's never acknowledged that he had been helping her and yet she would always sprint back to him. It was unhealthy, Soobin thought and he sort of hated Beomgyu nowadays since all their fights would hurt her. As he watched them hug, Soobin's balled up fist turned white.

"Why can't you see me?"

𝘼𝙐𝙏𝙃𝙊𝙍𝙎 𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙀。
can't you see me?
마법의 그날처럼 say, "believe me"
불타버린 내 맘을
come and feel me, feel me
ohhhh, can't you see me?
my friends don't understand me, noooo
can't you see me?
friends don't understand me, understand me anymore
friends don't understand me anymore more
can't you see me?
friends don't understand me, understand me anymore
friends don't understand me anymore moreeeee

sorry—i felt the need to write that down rq 😔 and don't we love older brother figure junggoogie <3