Chapter 36

Beomgyu let out a sigh as he slowly brought up the rim of his cup of coffee to his lips. Eyes settled on the horizon, waiting for the sun to come out.

He was at the garden of flowers, the one he had been taking care of for the last sixteen years. It had been his morning ritual to wake up near the blue hour to watch the sun crawl up the horizon.

Well, his and Taehyun's.

It was already around five-thirty in the morning and it was about time for some of his men to wake up. And a matter of time for the high schoolers and college goers to wake up too.

The brunette was about to take a drink of his coffee but he halted. Beomgyu placed the cup on his right side, his hands down, elbows resting on his thighs and eyes still on the horizon.

"What is a young boy like you awake at five in the morning, Beomhyun-ah?" eyes still on the horizon.

Hesitantly, Beomhyun walked out from the shadows of the pillar. Exposing his messy brown hair and his baggy sweatpants and oversize shirt.

"Ah... s-sorry sir, I-I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk..." Beomhyun explains, voice going smaller at every word he utters.

Then, for a second there, silence had surrounded the two.

"I-I'll just..." Beomhyun mutters, making a slight hand gesture to where the direction he came from. Eyes looking away from the older male. "Go back, yeah i-it was nice seeing you sir– "

"You can stay here young man," Beomgyu lets out a sigh, averting his eyes towards the young male, as he patted the space beside him.

Reluctantly, Beomhyun walked towards the older male, sitting beside
Beomgyu, but also maintaining a safe distance.

"You look teriffied, what's wrong?" Beomgyu began softly, eyes on the horizon still.

"Huh? N-No I'm not," Beomhyun quickly replied, shaking his head vigorously.

"Is it because of me?" Beomgyu asked, eyes now on the young boy.

Beomhyun didn't answer and looked down at his feet that were dangling on the edge of the wooden floor.

"I mean, you ordered me to get executed on the first day so uh... yeah?" the young boy responded with a mutter, shrugging his shoulders as he glanced at the male beside him.

'He's scared of you,' a little voice said inside Beomgyu's mind.

"I see, is there another reason why?" Beomgyu asked again.

Blinking his eyes, the young Kang bit his lower lip before hesitantly stating.

"You look at me like you wanna kick me out," he mumbled, again lowering as head as he swayed his feet a bit.

"Like you hate me or something."

Beomgyu then averted his eyes to the young boy, letting out a sigh, he settled his gaze once gain to the horizon.

The sun was slowly crawling up.

"No," the older male utters, "I don't hate you kid." he added.

Upon hearing his response, Beomhyun lifted his head and gave the mafia leader a surprised look.

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry, I was a bit... stuck in the past at that time," Beomgyu apologized averting his gaze to the young Kang as he flashed him an apologetic smile.

"Uh... Yeah, doctor Choi told me that I reminded you of someone you knew back then," the young boy says.

The older male rolled his eyes but smiled either way. "Of course he did, what else did he tell you?"