Chapter 29

Stephan Romano was in his office, discussing business with his second oldest, Marco.

"Come in." He said, as they heard a knock on the door. Elonzo stepped in, but what surprised both of them, was the little girl that stepped inside behind him, looking around the office.

'What's with the suspicious look?' They thought.

"This kid wants to meet you, Dad. She says she knows something about Everly." Elonzo said. Stephan had to refrain himself from cursing out loud and gasping.

After so many years. Fifteen exactly. What does she want suddenly?

The love of his life. The one he promised to, that he'd be her companion for their life ahead. The life they dreamt of spending together, getting old and watching their kids with their partners and children. The life he somehow ruined.

That love turned into hate. No matter what his mistakes were. He didn't care, if she wanted to file for divorce. He understood. He was guilty, for what he turned their life into, just because he was desperate for a daughter. He would've understood, if she wanted to have a divorce. But leaving all of them, suddenly, without saying anything, without talking it out.

Well she had tried talking, but it was rare for him to be home and not drunk and high. He was at fault.

But leaving their newborn and toddlers was cruel. How the children coped with their mother disappearing was something he still didn't know. But he was there for them, after coming back to his senses. He gave them the shoulder to cry on when they missed their Mom, who never so much as glanced back. Who never contacted them.

Stephan let her be. Partly because he was guilty, partly because he was angry at her. So he never tried on his part. His heart hurt everyday. Every second, he missed her. Having her in his arms, how she was the only girl after his mother, who loved him to no end.

"Hello, Mr. Romano. I'm Kate Johnson. And I'm here to convey a message from Ms. Everly." The girl intoduced herself, confidently, shocking the men. This was the first teen they'd come across who seemed so powerful and confident.

Then she started telling the whole story as Stephan listened intently.

His heart breaking as the story proceeded. But he couldn't break down. Not now. Not ever. For the sake of his kids.

"No." He answered, when she asked, if he could visit her.

He wasn't going to go meet her and talk to her after so many years. He wasn't going to act like he wasn't angry with her for leaving. He wasn't going to go though that phase again.

But a small part in his heart said, he should go see her at least, for the last time. Bid a farewell. We'll meet on the other side.

His heart ached. The pain in his heart was unbearable.

She was supposed to get old. Not with him now, but how could he possibly react to her dying?

And he was yet again angry. At himself, at his wife, at their life. He was livid.

She was leaving this world before him. Breaking another promise.

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. Stephan kept repeating.

But truth was, it did. No matter how much he tried to hate her, he had loved her with all he had. He still did. She did too. But what she anticipated happened. Violence came in between them. His aggressiveness came in between.

Maybe he will go to just have a look at her. See how she looks like now.

Hey,
First thing, I'm sorry. I know its pathetic of me to beg for your forgiveness now, after 15 years. But here we are. I have been diagnosed with cancer. I don't have long to live. I just wanted to see you for the last time. I wanted to see how our sons grew up. I totally expect you to not show up and I can understand. I'm sorry for what I put you though, Stephan. I made a huge mistake. I'm a bad person for doing that to you. But just know, I want to see you all for the last time and then it will be over for both sides. You won't have to see me ever again.