Epiphany ~ Chapter 45.

-Narrator-
The two sat awkwardly before someone who they thought they'd never see again- at least not together anyway.

Kureto Hiragi had accepted their invitation for a civil conversation with the two, although Guren and Y/N couldn't help but feel very nervous about any unexpected moves he might make- so nervous that they left their baby boy with the girls and Kai to babysit.

"You requested to speak with me, what is it?" He urged, eager to get what he viewed a pointless discussion over and done with.

Y/N took a deep breath before taking lead in the conversation, "It's glaringly obvious you're aware that I've been in contact with Guren and Shinya- I've come to ask for your forgiveness and to spare them of any punishment you had in mind."

Guren shot her a funny look considering that this wasn't the route the two agreed on, lucky for him Kureto didn't respond to that how he expected him to.

"I have no interest in doing anything to them." He leaned back on his chair, "Is that everything you came to ask about?"

The two remained silent, confusion very evident on their faces which slightly amused the Hiragi, "What? Were you expecting me to do something else?"

"Considering your past actions, yeah I was..." She almost sulked,

He folded his arms, "You're expecting me to act upon an issue I've already dealt with?"

"Dealt with? You mean that day?"

"Yes. That was me acknowledging that I already knew."

She sighed, "There's no point in me even being angry. It was going to happen regardless."

"You're right. The only thing you've managed to successfully escape from is our marriage."

"Successfully? Are you still not going to pursue it?"

"Do you want me to?"

"I wouldn't be living like some fugitive if I did." She frowned at him, making him laugh dryly,

"Do you still want to marry her?" Guren finally spoke,

"Would it upset you if I said yes?"

"Would you want it to?"

"Hmph." Kureto shook his head, "No I have no interest in her."

"After going as far as harassing and assaulting me in more ways than one? I'm not buying it." She huffed, her temper rising,

"But Y/N, you don't know why we were arranged to be married in the first place, do you?"

"If I'm being honest, I don't care. I know my father was promised something and your father would've liked it due to my family's status; but why did you want it?" She folded her arms, inquisitively,

"It's not as if I wanted to marry you," he admitted, "In a way we were in the same boat."

That statement made Y/N scoff,

"However, instead of taking it upon the chin you rejected it to the point you ran away, I hate people like that."

"You hate people like that or are you upset that I didn't bow down to you the way you wanted me to?" She quirked and eyebrow,

"Both, you don't seem to understand how this world works don't you?"

"You mean your world?"

He looked pleased by that suggestion, "Hm, that's more appropriate, actually."

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever it is, no I don't understand it. I don't plan on understanding it."

It was silent for a while, the couple were baffled by Kureto's indifferent attitude considering how he had treated them but he eventually nodded his head, breaking the silence, "So you've came to seek my forgiveness, is that correct?"

She sighed, quickly resuming her mild tone, "Yeah- I see why you didn't like me running away or resisting the marriage. I'm sorry."

"If I forgave you, would you come back to the army?"

Y/N shook her head no, "Do I have to for you to leave us alone?"

He put one finger up, "If you recover in time, just one more mission."

"Why?"

"I don't plan on losing one of our best snipers at such a critical stage of our plan?"

Y/N's eyes widened before she turned to Guren, "Is this what you've been preparing for?" She hissed to him, and he nodded,

"After how you sacrificed our comrades, I don't want to be a part of that again."

"Y/N, joining the army is already sacrificing yourself for the advancement of mankind."

"Then why did you spare me. You should've killed me along with the others you sacrificed; it was what I signed up for anyway was it not?" She sighed, "I don't wish to do a final mission with you. I have a son to raise now. Just tell me what options I have."

"You agree that you essentially broke a law, yes?"

"Me running away? Yes."

"Guren, you were also harbouring a criminal."

He shrugged, and it was silent before Kureto clapped once,

"Fine you can raise your son." He nodded, "Not with his father though,"

She hung her head, "What do you mean by that?"

"Take your pick and find out."

Y/N's stomach dropped due to the immediate dread that filled her, she knew she couldn't do it alone but she'd be damned if she joined the army again, she glanced over to her partner who gently smiled at her and placed his hand on her knee, giving it a short reassuring squeeze,

"Can I think about it at least?" Her previous confrontational tone turning to a meek one,

"The mission isn't now, you'll have until then to make your choice."

"When is this mission."

"That's not certain. It could be tomorrow; but the moment you are fit enough to return will be your first day back if the mission is still in progress."

She leant back on her seat, her nerves making her bite on her nails. Kureto was definitely being nicer but as usual he wasn't too nice.