Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings

Khaana carried Uhtred into town, "hold your head up high," She instructed him

Khaana carried Uhtred into town, "hold your head up high," She instructed him. Uhtred smirked, "are we putting on a show?" Uhtred asked her. "Yes, This woman could be anywhere here, you've never seen her. You're the son of lord Uhtred, they might not treat you like it but she will see it." Khaana thought to him, "Now, sit up straight and head high." she said.

"I will gift the mare to my new bride, that should keep you close for a time," Uhtred said. "I will round up one similar for when I must leave" Khaana huffed "for my own wedding, whenever it may be," she said.

Uhtred did as instructed and tried not to laugh as Khaana fixed her gait to be showier, holding her own head higher as they came through the city gates. It was still very early and the sky was thick with dark clouds which sprinkled snow lightly across the land. Leofric warmed his hands near a fire brazier, spotting Uhtred and Khaana he went to them, giving Khaana a pat on her neck, "you were up to no good this morning, saw Young Odda leave with you only to come back on Uhtred's horse covered in dirt and snow." Leofric chuckled.

Khaana flung her head up and down with a whinny. "She says it was hilarious, and it was," Uhtred said dismounting. He and Leofric glanced around "It's clear." said Uhtred, and before their eyes, Khaana was a woman once more, she straightened out her tunic and Leofric passed her a shawl for warmth. "It's freezing out here." She breathed.

"The cold is the least of my worries, I have not yet been allowed to see this woman..." Uhtred murmured, Leofric gave him a hard pat on the back "It is the way." he stated simply, Uhtred glanced at him, he wasn't sure whose way it was but it certainly wasn't his way, "I didn't even know of her or her name until today." Uhtred said, letting Leofric lead them towards the chappel.

"Will she be plain and Pious?" Uhtred asked quickly, Khaana laughed quietly, and Uhtred looked to her worried, "Oh she'll be pious, alright." Hummed Leofric, "If she was a leg spreader, Alfred would have been on her already." He said with a smirk. "No doubt he's tried nonetheless, I'm sure," Khaana murmured.

"Have you seen her?" Uhtred asked Leofric, "from some distance," Leofric said teetering his head, "Plain is a fair description." He said quickly. "They're trying to Bribe him, she'd ought to be a sight more than plain, don't you think?" Khaana asked as they made their way through the keep. "it was some distance away, its just my personal opinion." Leofric said, "How much was the bride price?" He asked.

"thirty-three pieces of silver. Already paid to her godfather Odda the Elder, which I will make sure she receives." Uhtred said, Khaana gave a cheeky smile, "You want me to ask a swords weight for mine?" She asked, Uhtred chuckled, "if you can get away with it, yes." He said. Uhtred gave a heavy sigh as they came to a stop in the courtyard. 

"But I've made promises," Uhtred said looking between Khaana and Leofric, "Revenge and such," he murmured. "Why are you here?" Leofric asked, "Do you know?" 

Uhtred looked out among the cold flowers and herbs in the yard, "my new bride will bring land. I will become a lord under Alfred,  I will be able to make wealth and gather men." Uhtred spoke as if he had rehearsed his reasons in his head a thousand times. And he very well had, to get him through most nights, as he had risked too much already. "and then take back what's mine." He breathed.