The Unforeseen

Morning broke, the the city was quiet, Aethelwold awoke with a start, he found himself in hay laying next to a pig

Morning broke, the the city was quiet, Aethelwold awoke with a start, he found himself in hay laying next to a pig. oddly enough he could could not recall how he had gotten there, but he remembered well what he had been doing there. stepping outside he found a woman cleaning herself out of a watering troth.  He dipped his head in the water to wake up and shook the water free. "My thanks for last night" he chimed groggily, heading away from the area, feeling in more uplifted spirit he now need to go off and give his father the brew he had made. He was feeling optimistic that it would work.

Wandering down the halls to where his Father lay, Aethelwold had a pep in his step, "Open the door I wish to see my father!" he called to the two guards at the door, thier spears held crossed in front of it. The two guards did not budge nor so much as blink, "Open the door or I will have your balls for sling-shot." Aethwold said with bared teeth. 

The doors opened the Alfred stood before his nephew arms crossed "Aethelwold?" He questioned. "I am here to pray for my father, the king, to be at his side." Aethelwold announced. Alfred peered down at him with a cold gaze "The King is dead." he said. Aethelwold felt the air rush out of his lungs "why was I not called, I should have been at his side?" Aethelwold asked. "You could not be found." Alfred stated, brushing past Aethelwold and leaving him behind. "I was sleeping in my chamber!" Aethelwold called after him.

Turning his attention to the room filled with mourners, Aethelwold brushed off his clothes and entered. He was not expecting so many people and now he'd wished he took the time to wash. Passing many Aldermen and priests he received many scowls. He wasn't sure if it was at him directly or the way a might have smelled. Stopping at the feet of where his father lay Aethelwold looked about " before he passed, my father, the king name me as his heir" He said, "It's the true, it was his last wish and command," Aethelwold looked about the room "You'd do well, all of you tor epeat this!" he near shouted.

No one seemed moved, a soft chuckle came from the shadows and out slipped Odda and elder, "I will inform the Witan of your claim," He said to Aethelwold, standing between him and the king "however, you should know, everyone in this room and more, have heard your father, the King, claim Alfred as heir to the throne." Odda informed him, a impish glint in his eyes as he watched Aethelwold look up at him at a loss for words. The prince chewed at his jaw "I am the kings son, do your duty." He said through gritted teeth. Odda gave a faint smirk, and Aethelwold knew his efforts had been in vain. As he walked out of the room he found he wished he could kick himself in the rear, he had wished he had  indulged in far less ale the night before. But wish would do him little good now.

Meanwhile, Khaana, Uhtred and Brida found themselves back in Alfred's study with the books and parchments. Khaana had to admit it felt nice being able to stretch her legs for so long, and not have to look up at everyone. Beocca watched her carefully, he neither believed or denied her claims, after the show she had put on, there was no doubt that she was not of this world and yet, she looked nothing like what he expected a holy being to look.