Restless Wessex

On Aesces Hill Aethelred, Alfred, Beocca, Odda the Elder, Odda the younger and Leofric looked down to a stunned Dane army below them

On Aesces Hill Aethelred, Alfred, Beocca, Odda the Elder, Odda the younger and Leofric looked down to a stunned Dane army below them. The priests chanted their prayers in Latin and Beocca prayed silently whilst Aethelred gave orders preparing for the attack. both the king and his men seemed highly confident as it seemed Uhtred had indeed spoken the truth, they knew they had the advantage. "oh my command!" the king shouted drawing his sword, "For God, for Wessex, for England!" he cried out, behind him a roar came form his men as they rushed forward into a charge.

they had become bleak, the streets messy with melted snow.  the cold nipped at the cheeks and noses of Brida and Uhtred as they swung from their cages and watched as the flames started to dwindle from around Khaana. The flames that once engulfed her entirely now only burned up to her middle and still she was without a burn, her body healed. The thunderous sound of marching men and hooves tore through the city, Young Odda ran ahead of them shouting "Clear the way! It is the King!"  he then fell back as Alfred and Odda the Elder rushed ahead of the soldiers carrying Athelred on a gurney behind them. "I have to speak, lord. the Axe cut deep, even a king could not survive it." Odda the Elder said said quickly, but Alfred red eyed and desperate was hardly listening, as they passed He got a view of the flames, and the woman within them.

Maybe he had been tired for the battle but he could have sworn he saw another tied to the stake at her back. Alfred shook his head and continued on " We shall pray and we shall see" Alfred said. Leofric paused in his steps behind them, his eyes going up to the woman in the fire, "by the father..." he murmured, watching as Khaana seemed to linger comfortably in the fire. 

She watched him with a blank gaze,  as he drew his eyes away and hurried behind the Odda's and  Alfred. Behind him stumbled a familiar face, the young man from the Tavern. He seemed dazed, as he watched the rushing men, behind him the King stretched out carried carefully long.

"that's the familiarity..." Khaana thought to herself, her mind foggy from pain which echoed loudly throughout her body. "they are kin, he shares the face of the King." She thought, her eyes wandered to Aethelred, she almost wished she could say she felt more pity for him, Almost. The anger she had for his people and bloodline ran too deep within her veins.

While the king was being seen too, Soldiers came to free Uhtred and Brida as well as cut Khaana down from her stake. The flames hissed with a plume of steam and smoke, Khaana's skin which was still raw beneath the illusion screamed with pain as the cool dirty water slapped against exposed muscle and blisters. the ropes are not what held her to the stake but her skin which had fused together at her wrist, the rope had long burned away.

"Lord have mercy on us, we did what we though was needed." Beocca prayed as he watched Leofric run a dagger along the fused skin, splitting it enough that Khaana could be pulled away from the stake. 

Khaana bit her lip to withhold a yelp, though water stung at her eyes. Leofric peered down at her, "you have not a burn, yet even still your skin is melted together were it touched..." he muttered. "I spoke truth and now you and all around have seen truth." She said. "you will ask we be forgiven?" Leofric asked her. Khaana gave him a flat glance and shook her head "that you must ask for yourself I cannot intercede in matters of ones own soul." she told him.