A Wasp and a Promise

Dawn broke and Lord Uhtred could not find Sachiel his hound

Dawn broke and Lord Uhtred could not find Sachiel his hound. He looked about everywhere but could only find her chained collar abandoned on the ground.

The three kings; Aella, Uhtred and Osbert lead their armies towards Eoferwic. But the sight that was spread before them was terrifying. The Danes and sorched the earth, a burned clearing where forest once was. A dozen small fires burned here and there and among the ashes stood the Dane soldiers.

"What sort of hel is this?" King Osbert asked breathless at the sight. "Its a Pagan's hell, but look - we out number them!" King Aella cheered with optimism. Lord Uhtred frowned as he looked out upon them, and spotted a figure hidden in long black furs and sporting an Animal skull over itcs face.

Even from a distance, he felt it was watching him. "But nothing changes, we attack with half our ranksbthe second half have to follow, once we have measure over them." Lord aella instructed. 

"They have conceded to higher ground." Said Lord Uhtred. "Kingaler, yours and Lord Uhtred's armies will attack in the first wave." Called Aella. "Prepare!" Called Kingaler, Aella's General. "Shield!" Lord Uhtred called holding out his hand.

Meanwhile, young Uhtred could hear the horns of war sounding off while he fed his pony. "No!" He gasped rushing to grab all his things "not without me!" Uhtred cried out quickly throwing on his mail and armor, he took up his sword and wooden shield, he hopped upon the pony's back and tore for the sound of the horns.

Khaana stood between Ragnar Ravnson and Ubba as the rode up to either side of her. At Ubbacs other side sat Ragnar Ragnarson. Lord Uhtred's army marched closer, "come nightfall, we'll be rid of this plague and counting our share of the plunder!" He caled back to rally his men. But the look on his face was very uncertain as they inched closer to an army of brightly colored shields and terrifying war paint.

"Khaana, start the chant." Ubba ordered and Khaana started to whisper in the native ancestral tongue of the Danes and the soldiers joined in wither her. A thick, crushing feeling of shadow fell over the Saxon army and they slowed down in their steps.  They had been putt off by the strange sight and sound and their war cried fell silent.

"Thats good, keep the fires burning...make them believe the fires are real." Ubba said to Khaana. But keeping up the illusion of. A dozen eternally burning Trees, in the minds of well over one hundred men was draining. Because of the cursed necklace around her neck, her abilites were already drained.

Ragnar Ravnson eyed Khaana carefully, but remain silent. He would not advise Ubba to allow her to stop, as they needed to break the will of Lord Uhtred's army. They needed to shake some fear into them and so far it seemed to be working.

When Lord Uhtred's army got close enough the Danes all stop their chant. The silence that washed over the land seemed to come with a sharp chill that dripped down the spines of the Saxon army. The two side started to march towards one another. The Danes forming rows of straight lines, shields raised and connected.