The Humane Monsters

The following morning Khaana lead two tired children through all that remained of the battlefield

The following morning Khaana lead two tired children through all that remained of the battlefield. Ravnson had tasked her with aiding them in gathering as much metal and weapon parts as possible. It would be useful for Ravnson's clan to smelt down into new blades and shields.

It was a hollow misty morning, with soft damp air. Brida had broken away from Khaana to gather a sword that lay in a patch of wild flowers, "do you want to join her in the flowers, Osbert?" Khaana asked Uhtred whom still had his fingers latched in her fur. He shook his head "just a little while longer." He said grogily. Khaana nudged his head with her muzzle. "Wake up runt." She teased. Uhtred giggled a bit and nudged her back with his forhead.

Ragnarsson gave out a loud whistle, Khaana's ear perked and she turned her gaze to him. "Anna-na, loose horses, go gather them." He called. Khaana huffed and shook out her fur, Uhtred released her fur. "Go on and gather the blades, I will return shortly" she told him before padding away.

Uhtred watched the large hound chase the spoooked horses about as if herding sheep. Letting out a long sigh he made his way through the grass gathering swords.

Brida watched him from her patch of flowers, standing up she dusted off her knees, gathered the sword and made her way to Uhtred. He was all she had here in the clutches of the Danes, they had to stick together.

Ragnarsson sat upon his horse next to his father as they watched the children and Khaana. "I am thinking about keeping the girl as well." Ravnsson said. "Why? She'd be worth good ransom?" Ragnarsson asked confused. "She could grow up to make a good wife for someone birth healthy heirs."  His father reasoned.

"It will pacify Khaana once we ransom the boy." Ravnsson sighed. Ragnarsson frowned "will it? She has taken claim over -"

"She is our servant by order of the Gods. She has no claim." Ravnsson cut in. In his words were no malice, he had considered Khaana part of his clan. However, she was sent to them as a punishment for disobeying her godly master, and he would not risk angering the gods by letting her off easy.

Ragnarsson fell silent. "And how much do you hope to get for him?" He muttered after some time. "We will have to wait and see." Ravnson replied.

Khaana panted as she finally had the horses rounded together. She lay innthe grass looking up at the sky, longinh for days when she could touch it again. "Oh how the mighty hath fallen" she thought to herself. Far was she from the days when chiefs and village kings would adorn her in jewlry, herbs and pelts. Sprinkle her great wings in perfumes and petals. She missed her homeland across the sea.

"Khaana! Khaana!" Brida's little voice called out. Khaana sat up and popped her head out of the grass. Upon seeing her Brida and Uhtred rushed over. "Look Khaana we got a bunch of them!" Uhtred cheered.

Brida scrunched up her nose "why are ypu talking to it - it cant calt back!" She teased him. "She can, you just can't hear her. Only I can...and the danes I think they can too." Said Uhtred. Khaana gave a wolfish smirk and stood up, heading back towards Ragnarson and Ravnson.