A Test of Flames

The following morning, Khaana awoke with a start, as Leofric, bounded out of his room, already dressed in full armor and moving as if fire were at his heels

The following morning, Khaana awoke with a start, as Leofric, bounded out of his room, already dressed in full armor and moving as if fire were at his heels. It couldn't have been because of anything good. 

Khaana hopped to her feet and followed him, as they passed the stables she spotted Brida and Uhtred's horses. Khaana sprinted past Leofric headed for the keep.

In the great stone halls, Khaana barely avoided running into the King, digging her claws down the friction against the floor was almost painful as she brought herself to a sudden halt. "Alfred!" Aethelred called, Odda the Elder following closely behind him. Alfred who was just ahead of them seemed lost in thought, he turned about to face his brother, who seemed less than pleased "you have called council for what reason?" Aethelred asked. 

Alfred spoke quickly, falling into stride with the king, "Lord, forgive me, but it may be for no good reason, but we have a pagan in court." Alfred said. Aethelred did not seem as surprised as one would have expected, "He claims to have knowledge of the Dane army." Alfred explained. Khaana brushed by the trio and rounded the corner interning a large room, following Uhtred's scent.

Beocca quickly stepped out of her way lest he be knocked over, "Forgive me, Lord, but he is Uhtred of Bebbanburg. I vouch for his word." Beocca said.  Seeing Khaana Uhtred stepped away from where he and Brida waited in the far corner of the room and knelt briefly hugging her around her neck. "What news?" She thought to him. Uhtred pulled away and gave her head a pat for show "they will not come in spring, but soon." He thought back to her, Khaana's ears lay flat "oh dear, they'd better hear you then." she thought to him. Uhtred stood to his feet and his eyes met with Alfred's "they will." Uhtred murmured quietly.

Brida came to Khaana and pet her fur "it will be ok." Khaana thought to her, but it did little to take the large frown from the girls face.

"Uhtred!" Beocca called. Uhtred quickly came forward, now all eyes turned to him and it was now that Khaana realized just how many what been called to this Council. the two Oddas, the King, many priests, Alfred, and a cluster of men dressed as Odda the Elder did, in tunics adorned in elegant designs of silver, most some variety of blue.

None looked pleased to b e sharing the room with two pagans.

As Odda the Elder and Alfred surrounded the king, Brida and Khaana stood near Uhtred,  Beocca at his side. "Lord..." Uhtred greeted Aethelred, the urgency in his eyes did not go unnoticed, and Aethelred looked at him with  a mix of confusion and curiosity.

"I have been to Readingum, I have watched the Danes. Their intention is not to settle, had it been they would have remained in Lunden." Uhtred spoke confidently, and Aethelred's ears burned with this news, "and you are saying what?" he asked Uhtred, his brows raising "they intend to attack?" he asked.

"I am lord" Uhtred said.

"We already know that and come spring they will but up at our door." Odda the elder spoke up.