Makings of a Spy

Aethelwold wandered the celebration, straining his ears for gossip or words with hidden meaning

Aethelwold wandered the celebration, straining his ears for gossip or words with hidden meaning. However, he'd heard and seen nothing.

His eyes fell on Alfred who seemed strangely disinterested in the strange event. Aethelwold could not spy the wheels turning in the back of Alfred's gaze as usual. He was simply watching his wife grin and carry on a conversation for him among aldermen and their wives.

"You'd think after all this effort and all the talk of how the Herald is a sign of his ambition for a unified one England, under God, that he'd be more concerned about this." Aethelwold pondered.

So far he'd found out nothing from those roaming the celebration. So silently he excused himself and went to wander about the halls, he would need to snoop among the servants.

Uhtred eyed Aelswith carefully, he had little desire to speak with the woman. His view of her soured for many reasons but he could not forget how poorly and openly she'd speak of Brida. Often while in her presence.

"Khaana has requested that I ask Aelswith to send a nun with a bucket...." Uhtred lulled to Mildreth.

Mildreth smiled faintly, "So then why are you still here? There have been several openings for you to speak with Lady Aelswith." She asked.

Uhtred released a slow sigh "Because I do not like her nor she me." He confessed. "I'd sooner go find a nun and tell her myself, but Khaana was clearly trying to be rid of me." He sighed.

Mildreth shook her head as she looked as if she had to reprimand a child for saying something naughty, "You serve the king, you will have to learn to put aside whatever has caused a thorn between you and our Lady Aelswith," Mildreth scolded.

"But just this once I will speak to her for you." She sighed leaving Uhtred to his corner.

* * *

Meanwhile, Eadgyth stood quietly gawking at Leofric her jaw clenching slowly. Leofric rubbed the back of his neck uneasily, between his sister's stare and Khaana's retching put him in an awkward place.

"Alfred will not be pleased about this. His holy Herald, with child...with-with a Danes child?" Eadgyth stammered. She shook her head hopelessly, "how are we supposed to protect it here, just us?" She asked.

Khaana wiped her mouth and grimaced down at the unpleasantness in the bucket. "It would be only during his birth. I have arranged a safe place for him to grow until I can safely retrieve him." said Khaana.

Eadgyth glanced at her brother who frowned deeply.

"You're going to send it away?" Asked Eadgyth.

"I'll have to, for his safety. Even if there were no threats among the city, Wessex is destined for war. My child will not witness its fires if it is in my power to prevent it. Not until he is old enough to face it willingly." Khaana sighed as she lay back down, her blank gaze fixed on the ceiling.