The Den of the Lion

Khaana followed behind Ubba's warriors, there wasn't many of the small group he'd  sent to fetch her left

Khaana followed behind Ubba's warriors, there wasn't many of the small group he'd  sent to fetch her left. Ironside may have been a fool, but he was a fool with well able warriors.

Khaana watched the road ahead with a dull expression, none of the men would utter one word to her. No doubt from the spread of rumors and fear.

Or, Ubba just told them not to speak with his new pet, what he thought was his new pet.

Khaana had however, fully realized that becoming Ubba's pet weapon may be the only way to get him to hear what Uhtred would have to say. She was more than sure word of Old Ragnar's death had to have reached his ears by now.

It was quite possible that the lie mingled along with it had reached him too.

Khaana exhaled, taking in the cool morning air to refresh her lungs.

The silence and the thought of the fiery day reminded her. "Ragnar still doesn't know." She thought, a heavy feeling settled in her chest. She knew well that she'd not forgotten to tell him, deep down she didn't want to.

Ragnar would never forgive himself knowing he was gone whilst his family was burned in their home, it was bad enough he would have missed his sisters wedding party.

Khaana did not want to listen to him blame himself, for had he not been away Old Ragnar's line would be ended. He may not have been always fair or kind to her, but Khaana greatly respected the quality of warrior and leader that ran in Old Ragnar's family line.

It was in him, his father and all his children. It was even in his wife Sigird, though she didn't know it, it was. One couldn't be close to him and not have that wild spirit cast on them as well.

The truth was had Ragnar been there, he would have burned alive at his father side, and Khaana would have taken all of England right with them.

Khaana's gaze shifted over the warriors, they seemed satisfied that she was quiet and complacent at the moment. They did not look over their shoulders at her nervously or murmured amongst themselves about if she would curse them.

They moved about naturally and even talked comfortably with each other.

Now was a good time and would likely be her last chance. Khaana's gaze seemed to look beyond the present world around her as she tried to pluck up a connection with Ragnar, it didn't take long.

"What is happening?" Ragnar asked her quickly. "Many things, but I have ill news, are you at battle?" Khaana asked calmly. "What things? No - no I am not." He said.

"Are you among your men? For this it would be best to be alone." Khaana advised. "I am alone, but if this is news of my father....I already know." He said his tone grave.

"When?" Khaana asked, "last night." He replied. "I'm am sorry Ragnar, I was to tell you sooner and then-"

"Are you alright? Answer me first." Ragnar said firmly. Khaana gave a bitter scoff "I am fine, if nothing else I can will survive." She thought to him.