The Scent of a Trap

Khaana sat in a tent, laying on the ground n furs

Khaana sat in a tent, laying on the ground n furs. Resting on her back she watched the roof of the tent.

Arms crossed while she was lost in thought. She got herself into this little mess, but she would certainly need help getting out.

Rûnhild, the shieldmaiden who had taken Khaana to Gnupa, entered into the tent quietly. She rested a large bowel of water near Khaana and next to it a loaf of bread.

Rûnhild watched Khaana carefully and made sure to keep a safe distance. Khaana chuckled a smirk coming to her face. "Dear, what have they told you that makes you so afraid?" She asked.

Khaana looked up at Rûnhild and raised a brow "you are a shieldmaiden, yes? Why are you afraid?" She asked again as she stayed silent.

"I am not to talk to you. My lord Ironside says you are a witch." Rûnhild said.

Khaana laughed "a witch? That would make me harmless. Witches heal, they take care of the land, beast and earth. A witch won't harm you - as long as she isn't threatened." Khaana said.

Khaana's smile fell "I will take the heart of all who keep me bound and being the scent of death, should I be held captive." She said.

Rûnhild trembled, "the hounds will eat those left." Khaana added.

A short burst of laughter came from behind Rûnhild as Skorpa entered the tent. "Go back to your man, girl. Before, the so called witch makes you shit yourself." He said.

Rûnhild glared at Skorpa, "we were talking." She said, Skorpa pushed by her as if to push her out of the way and sneered. "And you have talked enough, leave us." He said.

Rûnhild scowled but did as she was told.

Khaana found herself alone with Skorpa, she watched him as he sat next to her on the ground, a small basket in his arms. "I've brought you suitable food, not that sorry bread my father feeds the prisoners." He said swatting away the dry hard bread loaf given to her.

Placing the basket on the ground he removed a cloth revealing fire roasted horse meat, fresher bread and an apple.

Khaana carefully plucked the apple from the basket and held it up to Skorpa, who instantly took a bite. "I swear it is not poison." He said.

Khaana let out a short hum in reply. "You should be kinder to Rûnhild." Khaana murmured. Carefully she pushed away her basket "you say there are prisoners?  Take what you have brought me and feed those that are children or those that are women, I will not eat while captive here." She said.

Skorpa watched her mildly confused " Why worry for prisoners?" He asked "Why waste a small feast on them?"

Khaana turned her back to Skorpa as she lay on her side "Why waste my words on he who won't  listen to me?" She asked him.