Conceived Bonds

Khaana looked up as Leofric entered the barn, "gods mercy, you already set a fire?" He asked looking at the small flame burning among a circle of rocks

Khaana looked up as Leofric entered the barn, "gods mercy, you already set a fire?" He asked looking at the small flame burning among a circle of rocks. "It was freezing, Oswald set it for the animals." she said sitting  on her knees before the fire, hands outstretched to hover near its flames.  "how are they getting on?" Khaana asked watching Leofric take a seat near to her. 

"Not well, they won't be celebrating tonight, if you get my meaning." Leofric sighed, "The Arseling is upset, he has reasons to be. But the girl means well." He added. Khaana gave a nod, "your king is poison. you are aware of this?" She asked him to which Leofric chuckled, "The whole court is aware of it, nobody wants to be the first to say so." He said.

Watching the light of the fire dance across Khaana's face, he quietly held out his plate, "Here, you should eat." He said. "I'm not hungry," Khaana said. "Yeah well, you should be. eating for two and all that." said Leofric, he held the plate closer to her, "come on, a few bites of something, or I'll force-feed you." He said with a hint of playfulness. "you'd lose a finger." Khaana said. Leofric shrugged, "I've lost a toe before, can't be much different." He said.

"You've lost a toe?" Khaana questioned, "hazards of learning how to use a sword while too young." he said.

"Quick, while it's still warm, that fire won't keep it hot forever. It's barely keeping the frost out of your hair." Leofric said. Khaana sighed and reached for a cutting of salted fish. "do you think I can get away with asking Young Odda for 2,000 shillings for my bride price?" Khaana asked. "not a chance, Herald of the Lord or otherwise. The boy hardly wants the marriage and does so because he is told." Leofric scoffed, "He offered Uhtred 10 in hopes of stopping a marriage to a girl he's pinned for since he was knee-high to a rabbit." He added.

" I wouldn't worry too much about the debt, it's not uncommon here." Leofric tried to assure. "That only makes it far worse. Her father was trying to be faithful to his god and it was turned against, not only him but all those who came after. It ruined that young girl's life...no wonder she had no suitors." Khaana raged quietly.

"It doesn't seem strange, it's just the way it is here, We've grown up with it, those before us have too. It's the way things are." Leofric said. Khaana scoffed, "ever think to question if the way things are is asinine." Khaana shot. Leofric raised his cup a little "You'll have no argument from me." Leofric said before taking a sip.

Khaana looked to Leofric squinting, "but you just spent a handful of minutes defending it, or trying to." she said to him. Leofric sighed and went back to eat, "I heard more than enough arguing today for everyone. I'd rather not be screeched at personally." Leofric muttered looking Khaana square in the eyes, offering her more food. 

"Don't know how you're not scarfing down everythin'" Leofric said mildly impressed, "Eadgyth ate us out of house and home with her first," Leofric said quietly. "Eadgyth has a child?" Khaana asked eyes wide, "There was someone before-"