Something Soured

Khaana sighed heavily as she sat as patiently as she could muster

Khaana sighed heavily as she sat as patiently as she could muster. It was a frigid day and the candles chosen for peace in the chapel had a scent that made her stomach turn. "Smile it's your wedding day," Eadgyth said in soft laughter. Khaana looked down at her hands, letting the woman shape her hair into a long braid. "A day I never wanted, unfortunately," Khaana murmured. Eadgyth lifted a brow and looked over Khaana's shoulder to see her face, "One you never wanted at all, or simply just not with my brother?" she asked her.

Khaana chuckled and shook her head. "I know that letter wounded you, Lady." Eadgyth whispered, "Let my brother heal it. He can if you let him." She added before finishing up the braid. Khaana sat in silence once more, "I don't need healing, I bare all my scars." She muttered.

Across the waters, Ragnar paced about his camp, "I want ships ready." He ordered as a young Dane man scurried away from him towards some tents. "Ragnar, you cannot stop it, and it will be days before we would arrive," Brida said from her seat sharing her sword. "I do not care, I will not sit on my hands and let this happen," Ragnar growled. "What if she wants it to happen?" Brida asked quickly. "Khaana hates the Saxons for what their kings did to her." Ragnar said glaring at Brida in frustration, "she would never want this to happen!" He roared.

Brida sighed, "we sail in alone and raid Wessex? We will be killed, or held captive" Ragnar chuckled, "I don't fear them," He asked. Brida slowly nodded, "You should. They have been trained by Uhtred, who was trained by your father. It would also ruin Uhtreds plans and his hopes. We fail and Alfred kills the four of us all." Brida reasoned. Ragnar glared at his feet, his fists clenched. With a long sigh, he tilted his head back and fixed his eyes to the sky. " At least we would be together in Valhalla." He murmured. "I cannot stand this quiet, this distance. We are one and I have been left like a severed arm in a trap." Ragnar's strained sigh was clutched in.

"Which would mean you are not one anymore." Brida said standing up, "You need to leave it Ragnar." she said sternly. "Wait for a day when you've been given a sign that things are to change." Brida reasoned. "I have been, and I grow tired of waiting. The Gods do not honor those who sit and whimper when they can take for themselves." Ragnar grumbled, pushing past Brida and towards where Guthurm stood with his men.

That chapel was blazing with candles, and many people had gathered to witness the spectacle of the Herald being wed to a simple knight. Lady Aelswith lingered, watching with a pleased smile on her face as she stood next to Alfred. "It's like something out of the holy book is it not? It was a wise judgment for you to see this pair." She said to him. "You and Wessex shall be blessed," she praised. Alfred never took his eyes off of Khaana as she was led up the isle by Uhtred and three guards.

Leofric waited at the front of the Chapel, he stood stoic but inside he could feel his knees knocking. Eadgyth laughed to herself, watching her brother's gaze. "He looks at them as if they're bringing him a heap of gold." She thought. "You sure about this?" Uhtred thought to Khaana, She sighed into his mind, "Yes. It needs to be done. So I will do it. It could have been far worse." She said. Uhtred kept his eyes ahead of him, "and what of-"