A Plague of Lies

Khaana stood before the gates of the fortress of Bebbanburg, she took the form of the steed and upon her back sat not Uhtred but Brida

They stood at Uhtred's back as he rose high the head of Scallion. Alefric watched them from the battlements.

"I am Uhtred of Bebbanburg! And I will take what is mine!" Uhtred shouted.

Brida gripped at Khaana's mane "Easy, Brida." Khaana spoke to her mind. "I have been placed with you, you will be safe child. " She said. Brida gave a nod as Uhtred tore off back for the woods as Alefric ordered his men to ring him Uhtred.

Khaana and Brida followed.

"Khaana, keep Brida safe, I shall get them off of our trail." Uhtred called as they slowed near steep hills between the trees. "Of course." Khaana hummed ridding fast deeper into the trees.

Meanwhile Uhtred made himself busy, tying long branches to his horses tail to sweep clean the hoofmarks. While Khaana's steps made no mark in the earth his earthly mount did.

"We shouldn't have done this, Khaana." Brida said as she let Khaana take her deeper within the trees. "We should be out there seeking Ubba, we tell him what happened and we let him avenge Earl Ragnar." Brida said quietly.

"Ubba, cares more for wealth and women than the honor of a fallen allie. Earl Ragnar died fighting with a sword in his hand...while burning in flames set by saxons..."

"And danes! Khaana! Trators he needs to know." Brida shouted.

"Interrupt me again, and I shall flick you from my back. Understand me?" Khaana said in a slow calm. Brida scowled but fell silent.

"In Ubba's eyes Earl Ragnar died a good death. The fairness of it does not matter. Kjartan came and he took, from his own? What does it matter to the sort of Dane that Ubba is. Earl Ragnar, was a man who valued honor, in his own way, yet in still he did." Khaana sighed heavily hot air blowing from her nostrils.

"You grew up under his ways of life, passed down from his father Ravn. Ravn though a mighty warrior in his day and very wise, was gentler than most...not by much yet still. You must understand, Earl Ragnar is not Ubba. Nor any other Lord or Master among Danes, Earl Ragnar was different." Khaana said.

"So what do we do now? Who do we turn to then? If not Ubba? Say you are right? If you are with us Ubba will listen to us. You were sent here to serve Earl Ragnar and his blood and Uhtred is his son." Brida reasoned.

Khaana chuckled "my child your eyes are disillusioned by the romantics of the Danes. Ubba will take me, he will shake me to that fraud of a seer Storri and he will use me. Osbert was Earl Ragnar's son, but you - you were his slave, a well treated one, but a slave nonetheless. As was I. Ubba won't care for you beyond your privates, bosom and healthy womb." She said.

Brida waked Khaana's neck "its not true!" She cried.

"He would use you as he would use me, but your usefulness would end sooner, then you'd be slain or left to die. And Osbert would die if only to defend your pride." Khaana continued.