Hel Fire

Night was soon to fall across the lands, the sky turned a bright orange and the stars started to wake as the sun slipped ever so slowly behind the horizon

"Khaana the water is cold." Uhtred protested as he stood looking at the steady river. Khaana scowled "you need to bath Osbert, Brida is ...Brida and may not be a proper lady, but she is still a woman, boy- and you will not court her smelling like goat." Khaana said.

"I don't smell like goat, I've washed this morning." Uhtred muttered. 

And before he could so much as breathe,  a loud splash was muted by the sound of water rushing into his ears.

Uhtred quickly surfaced and scowled towards a large black steed who was shaking her head about in amusement.

"Khaana!" He barked. Khaana gave a long snort and pawed at the ground "you should know better than to defy what I tell you, pup." She spoke to his mind.

Uhtred narrowed his eyes "only a few more minutes, do not sulk. I will not have you meet her smelling like you did." Khaana said. Uhtred found that protesting was pointless, he was already in the water.

"Am not a boy anymore." He muttered. "You certainly still act like it though, don't you." Khaana replied in a bored tone. She turned her back to Uhtred and cantered away "you don't meet a woman unless you are at your best - remember that, Osbert." She called back behind her.

Noon had fallen and the cliffside shore was filled with a fluttering laughter that nearly drowned out the sound of crashing waves and the thunder of hooves. "Did you see the look of Eluf as we tore across his crops?" Thyra giggled.

Khaana's hoof lost its footting and she tumbled. Thyra screamed and giggled as she landed on a large furry hound. Khaana chuckled deeply as Thyra hid her face in the fur on her neck - in a fit of giggles.

Her laughter faded and she nuzzled her face into Khaana's neck. "I'll miss you once I leave." Thyra mummbled. Khaana shook her head "you will only be across the field." Khaana said.

"Its not the same. Who else will chase the wolves away, if you, Uhtred and Brida are gone?" Thyra asked Khaana. Khaana looked down at the redhaired woman with wild eyes.

From all directions came soft howls and barks, Thyra looked through the tree line feet away, eyes and shadows weaving through the trees. "You will find Thyra, wolves arent so different from hounds." Khaana said.

Thyra slowly found herself surrounded by canines who looked to share the same wolfish breeding as Khaana. Thyra reached out and pet one as they flocked to her. "Are these yours?" Thyra asked. Khaana gave a canine smile "no, these are yours." Khaana said to which Thyra beamed.

Night was aproaching swiftly across the quiet lands on England. Khaana had escorted Thyra back to Earl Ragnar's longhouse and went back into the forests. With Ragnar the younger gone, she was the main hunter and took up watch of the lands as there was less protection for the family.