The Fork In Destiny

Khaana caught up with Uhtred outside the gate to Ubba's new fortress,  before him stood the great black steed, "why are you a horse?" Uhtred asked her. "You're so frightened you've lost all sense" Khaana chuckled softly "get on, Osbert, you will be too slow on foot, and we must make haste back to Brida." she said.

Uhtred reached up to her neck and pulled himself up, taking hold of her mane to stay steady. " We won't have much time, if Ubba's men do not find Storri somewhere on the road back soon, they will come for us, and this time we may not be so fortunate." Khaana advised. "You are right, run with the speed of Svadilfari." Uhtred said. "Faster, even." Khaana said her voice full of ego as she took off into the trees.

Khaana listened to the surrounding woods, for fear that they would be followed and ambushed. After all it had been an eventful couple of days and nothing, nowhere felt safe. Uhtred had fallen uncommonly quiet and Khaana could feel his eyes watching the back on her head as she carried him along. 

"Speak." she said.

"That king back there, did you know him?" Uhtred asked. Khaana side glanced "why do you ask?" she questioned. Uhtred let out a small laugh "because you told me to speak." He said.

Khaana huffed, "No, not personally, but he is a Saxon king, and I seek death to all Saxon kings." She explained plainly. "It was more than that, you are a Dane, we all feel the same mostly. This was more than that. You were hungry for it." said Uhtred.

Khaana said nothing and pressed on through the trees "A Saxon king took from me my skies, all I had left here on the earth. When I was placed for Earl Ragnar to find me by the gods...the Saxon King found me, captured me and took my wings as his prize. Ragnar the Younger, made me a promise that they would help me take revenge on the blood of the one who wrong me -all Saxon kings." She explained.

Khaana's gaze focused on the path headed, an unsettling feeling that all at once felt slightly comforting nestled in her core. "But as king Edmund was put to an end, it did not feel as fulfilling as I had hoped, something replaces my vengeance slowly - I have more than just my hate left, I have purpose." Khaana spoke quietly.

Uhtred tilted his head to the side "what is this purpose?" He asked. 

Through the Tree's Khaana could spot Brida, she stood before a bay horse, her back turned to them as she was busy fiddling with something the horse carried. Khaana could hear her giggling, "Khaana?" Uhtred asked, She smiled and shook her head "it's a secret, Osbert." she said with a sly tone. "That's not fair, I wish to know." Uhtred complain, slightly sulking he looked like a boy all over again.

"You will one day, I may tell you when I can stomach your teasing." Khaana chuckled.

Hearing the thundering hooves of Khaana, Brida turned around to greet them. "You're back!" she called hopeful. She looked from Khaana to Uhtred, neither so much as cracked a smile "That's good, right?" she asked.