No Prey

Khaana  rested on her bed, it was little more than a simply built shallow box filled with hey and covered in fur, but she had laid in worse

Khaana  rested on her bed, it was little more than a simply built shallow box filled with hey and covered in fur, but she had laid in worse. The sky lightly rumbled with distant thunder and the smell of rain filled the air, Khaana left her curtain open so that she might see the darkening sky and keep watch over who might come near where she, Brida and Uhtred rested.

"I should tire of life on guard all the time" she told herself, but it felt more natural than breathing, and she was almost afraid of what would happen should she not be needed anymore. 

Khaana released a breath, and Uhtred entered her room. He looked at her with worry, "don't be so pale, No one has come for us yet, we have time. Consider taking it to catch a breath, you will need it." Khaana said. Uhtred exhaled and placed himself at the foot of her bed, taking a seat. 

"I have something to tell you, and I wish you not be mad at me." He said speaking carefully.

Khaana sat up and looked at him through eyes narrowed "what have you done now, Osbert?" she asked. Uhtred looked up at her, "I handed my amber over to another man, a smith to have it forged into the handle of a long sword." He said, trying to read her expression as Khaana sighed "Did you feel you could trust this smith?" She asked him.

Uhtred thought for a moment before nodding "I do, He is a simple man, but he was willing to haggle before I handed him the amber or even told him about it. that and his eyes didn't look like that of a thief." Uhtred explained.

"Well then, you have nothing to worry about and I do not disapprove of your choice. Requisition your lands and seek retribution with your birthright as your truest weapon, now rather than snatch it from you, they must pry it from your grasp." Khaana said a small smile of approval on her face. 

"You make it all sound so close." Uhtred chuckled nervously. "Maybe not, you take the road of Absolution and that, Osbert, has brought many of this world's the greatest men to their knees. It has destroyed kingdoms and generations. You've got a long treacherous trail ahead of you." Khaana said. Uhtred sighed and looked down at his hands. 

"But if that does not sway you, and you can hold true to the fate you've chosen to walk down, you can make it. You're not alone, You've got an army in Brida and Ragnar, he is coming, and he will trust your word." Khaana reassured him.

"And? What of you?" Uhtred asked, Khaana smiled and reaching out she placed her finger tips to the scar on his temple, "as I have told every man since the day Earl Ragnar gave you that scar," she said, drawing her hand away she plopped it on the top of his head slightly ruffling his hair, "to me, you are mine and I will not have anything of mine taken again." she said, her voice faded into a murmur as she looked over her shoulder, remembering the ghosts of what should have been there.

Uhtred watched her in silence, Khaana turning to look at him again, had lost her smile. The gaze she was giving him cut through them and was full of resolve. "I, Osbert, will be a shield wall for you, whenever you need me. You can do this." Khaana said.