Alfred

It was peaceful in the courtyard, so quiet one could almost hear the sound of their lungs as they expanded and retracted in their chest, hear the unformed thoughts in their head

It was peaceful in the courtyard, so quiet one could almost hear the sound of their lungs as they expanded and retracted in their chest, hear the unformed thoughts in their head. Khaana lay on the cool stone, her ears listening to everything around her while she let her eyes rest, She couldn't recall the last time she had slept.

Brida wandered around carefully, the courtyard was a small garden, with modest herbs and flowers, surrounded by open air halls for visitors to wander about. Here even foot steps fell softly. hatred of the Saxons or not Brida had to admit, this place seemed to settle her restless spirit.

Uhtred noticed Brida's tense shoulders relax, and Khaana lay unguarded about ground, listening to the nuns wander about.

"You like it?" Uhtred asked Brida. She gave a nod, almost hating to break the quiet with her voice "I do, it's beautiful" Brida said, glancing back at Uhtred, watching him walk about and take in their surrounding. "you could rest here it's so quiet" Brida added, she looked down to Khaana and giggled silently.

"leave me be girl." Khaana thought to her, Brida could feel the smirk in her words. "it's exhausting holding this form for so long." Khaana sighed. Khaana's eyes shot open at a new scent, her head rose and her ears perked.

"Peaceful" A lite refined voice called.

Uhtred, Brida, and Khaana turned their attention to the man dressed in a simple robe with a cross about his neck. He was frail, deep set eyes tired but calculating. Pale yet slightly graying skin, like a cloud that wanted to rain. "The Roman's built this courtyard for that very reason; tranquility." He said.

His heavily lidded eyes watched Uhtred as if silently reading all her could about him just by the way he carried himself. He looked clear through him. Uhtred smirked slightly amused and pointed "you're Alfred?" he asked.

He didn't need to be told, though this little man looked far from impressive. He was small and clearly afflicted with some sort of ailment. however their was a power in his gaze, Uhtred could tell he was smart. Alfred's eyes held a calculating wisdom that Uhtred had seen before in the likes of his own Uncle, Old Ravn, and his Father.

"I am." said Alfred, unmoved by the Dane's amusement. Uhtred gave a clumbsy halfhearted bow "my Lord." He said to him. Brida crept up slowly to stand at Uhtred's side, she refused to bow and looked at Alfred with a stone like gaze.

"You are Uhtred. I hear word that you are a warrior most considerable." Alfred said, his eyes flickering to the large hound who neared with caution. Khaana watched him, struggling not to lung. He held a familiar scent in his blood, on his skin, in his bones.

it took all she had to stop her fur form bristling. Uhtred followed Alfred's gave to Khaana. He could almost feel her struggling.  Uhtred cleared his throat and turned his attention to Alfred "I've not been tested Lord, not yet, and I have been lucky." Uhtred said, he pointed over his shoulder to Khaana "and well protected." He said with a short laugh.