So Vows Uncertainty

Ragnar lay grinning among the leaves, his eyes looking up at deep scratches in the trunk of the tree above him

Ragnar lay grinning among the leaves, his eyes looking up at deep scratches in the trunk of the tree above him.  Khaana licked away the blood from her fingertips, "I broke every last nail on my hands." she murmured. She cast a lazy gaze down to Ragnar from her perch in the tree branches. 

"Why are you all the way up there in those tiny branches?" he asked peering at her through the darkness.

Khaana side glanced "trying to save some dignity." she murmured.

"It is not a loss of Dignity to enjoy it..." Ragnar mused with a smirk, "Gods and their creatures have had a good hump with us before - it is nothing new." Ragnar laughed. Khaana continued to look away, "just because it has happened before doesn't mean it's a good idea." She sighed.

Ragnar sat up, composing himself and fixing his clothing, "You're lucky you have me to be the cheerful one." He said. Ragnar was in a good mood and nothing was going to wash it away, not even Khaana's usual brooding. "I've got my woman, and with luck will soon have my brother and friend with me on a journey to prepare for an overdue vengeance. Tonight will be a good night." Ragnar nearly sang.

Khaana looked down at him, he had not been paying attention to her, or he would have noticed the pity in her eyes, even in the murky dark left by the early dawn.

"But you are right, they should be here, lets go meet them," Ragnar said. Khaana carefully leaped down from her tree and followed at Ragnar's side. He smiled at her closeness, but she found it hard to look at him.  She would not tell him that she was not to join him, as in the end, all was on pause until Uhtred decided what it is he wanted to do. 

Between the trees to a faint clearing and a fallen log, Khaana spotted Uhtred and Brida, breaking away from Rangar she sprinted to them. 

Hearing the rushed steps, both drew their weapons, however found themselves drawn into Khaana's arms before they could react. "Khaana!, we could've killed you!" Brida gasped. Khaana smirked "you would like to think so wouldn't you?" she said as Brida returned her hug, hiding her face in Khaana's neck. Uhtred remained quiet his eyes trained on the figure behind her. 

Ragnar stood in a locked gaze with Uhtred, "He does not believe me." Uhtred whispered to Khaana as she fussed over them. "He does...it's just-"

"Did you kill my father?" Ragnar asked, Khaana sighed heavily and removed herself from Brida and Uhtred. "No, those stories are lies, Ragnar. Khaana has told you." Brida said quickly. Ragnar's eyes stayed on Uhtred "I will hear it from him, did you kill our father?" he asked the tone in his voice demanding an answer.

Khaana would have cuffed him round the ear for it, had Ragnar's eyes hadn't looked so frightened about the answer. She couldn't remember the last time he'd looked so anxious.  Khaana and Brida huddle around Uhtred waiting quietly, "You need to ask?" Uhtred questioned quietly, "I will hear it." Ragnar repeated, inching closer.