The Runts

Khaana nuzzled the little Uhtred awake as Ragnar and Ubba's men worked to clear the battle field of their prisoners

Khaana nuzzled the little Uhtred awake as Ragnar and Ubba's men worked to clear the battle field of their prisoners. The boy awoke with a start, "easy Osmund...you are safe." She said speaking to hiss mind.

"Thats not my name! I am Uhtred son of Uhtred!" He shouted. Khanna's canine ears twitched a bit and her tail swished in amusement "oh look at thepuppy bark - you are Osmund to me." She said. Uhtred lunged forward and hid his face in her fur. Khaana sighed. "The name my father gave you...what is your real name?" He muffled into her large neck.

"I am Khaana, and you are mine now. You've nothing to fear." She whispered. Giving the boy a nudge Khanna stooped down and Uhtred climbed atop her back. He gave a long loud sniffle "you're reaaally big for a magical dog." He said.

Khaana gave a smooth chuckled "or your terribly small for a mortal boy." She said. "Shall I call you runt then?" She asked. "No!" Uhtred gasped. Khaana chuckled some more and padded up to where Young Ragnar waited for her.

"No away from them! They-" Uhtred called to Khaana quietly. Khaana gave a soft whine "I am sorry - but I am theirs." She said. "Traitor!" Uhtred shouted. But he was more afraid of the great big Dane just ahead of them. And Khaana did say she would keep him safe. He had no one and wanted to trust her.

"Ubba wants the boy as his prisoner." Ragnarson said to Khaana. She growled and he cracked a smile "do not look at me like that - I said he wants him. My father and old Ravn won't allow it. Ravn has claimed him." Ragnarson said.

Khaana snorted "he is mine, you tell your father and grand father the pup is mine." She said.

"I would, but my father owns you, i doubt they'll listen to their slave's demands." Ragnarson muttered. Khaana leered at him "their Immortal slave. I may have been cast down and placed under watch of you dying humans but remember what I -can- do." Khaana snarled.

"I didn't mean -" Ragnarson fumbled over his words. "Mine" Khaana said slowly. "Yours. I will tell them." He sighed, with those words Ragnarson started his horse off and Khaana followed. "Where are we going?" Uhtred whispered to her. "To the mead hall." Khaana replied she gave a heavy sigh "They wish to celebrate, I warn you the things you will see they arent fit for a pup. Look away if you must, however you'll need to get used to it. This is what you will see often." Khaana warned.

"What will I see?" Uhtred asked.

A man hollered as he was being drug through the night by the wrists, wrist bound by a rope that was tied to a horse. A horse running wild. Uhtred cringed slightly at the mans yells of pain. But he wasn't yelling alone from inside the mead hall women were wailing and men shouting in victory.

Uhtred gripped Khaana's fur as he waljed next to her looking aroubd him as she and Ragnar the elder lead him to old Ravn on the second level loft.

"An old man?" Uhtred whispered to her. "Yes, but be careful - the old goat is sharp, but kind." Khaana spoke back to him. Khaana stopped just short of the fur ladden chair of which Ravn sat. "I know your there, I can smell dog. My grandson has told me your demand." Ravn said carefully.