⚠️ • | Chapter Forty | • ⚠️

{ Trigger Warning: Violence | If you aren't comfortable reading this, you're more than welcome to leave this book. Chapters containing sensitive scenes/topics will be identified with this symbol ⚠️. }

| Sunday Night. . .

"Y'all, I'm mad as hell. School hasn't even been in for a month and my teacher already assigned us a five-page paper. Ri-fucking-diculous." Jay openly complained on the phone during their three-way call, gaining a brief snicker from the other two girls.

"Five pages on what?" Michelle asked as she snacked on a bowl of buttered popcorn while chilling on her futon in her room.

"Honestly, I couldn't even tell you. I wasn't paying attention."

Riley shook her head with another chuckle. "Now, Jay. It's our senior year and final semester at this wack ass school. We need to be on top of our stuff."

"Yeah yeah, I know." She dramatically sighed while doodling across the top of her rough draft that barely held a full paragraph, then pulled her face into an annoyed scowl. "But I haaate writing papers. I'm considering plagiarism."

"If you do that, I'm gonna come over there and beat your ass myself before your mom catches wind of it." Riley half-joked with a sideways glance at the phone. "That thought better not cross your mind again."

Michelle hummed her agreement before saying, "Don't come crying to us if you get caught and flunk the class, then you have to delay your graduation."

Jay had the phone pulled away from her ear as she stared at it with a soured look, then said, "Not y'all ganging up on me like that. All I said I was gonna consider it."

"Well, un-consider it." Riley said just as her phone vibrated against her ear. She switched to speakerphone, and checked the short and sweet text Michael had sent her. A warm smile graced her lips as she sent a text back, and it wasn't long before she was fully immersed in the text messages exchanged between them.

"Um, hellooo? Earth to Rileyyy." Jay sang into the phone. "You stopped threatening me and went quiet on us. What's up?"

Michelle snickered to herself as she was finishing up the last of her popcorn. "Probably Michael."

Just the simple sound of his name sent a flurry of heat to her cheeks as she finally said, "Well, I'm not denying it."

"Figures. Has he sent you any nudes yet?" Jay bluntly asked with a mischievous grin, completely abandoning her writing assignment.

Riley sucked her teeth with an exasperated eyeroll. "I should've expected that question from you."

"We've been friends for at least a decade. You should know me by now, Ry." Jay chuckled. "Anyway, answer my question. Has he?"

"No, he hasn't. He's a gentleman." Riley said as she grabbed the TV remote and turned it on.

"So is Craig, but that hasn't stopped him."

"Different strokes for different folks. I'm not really into that kind of thing. And even if he did send one, I would rather it be because I asked him for one instead of him assuming it's what I'll like." Riley's eyebrows creased and she paused from flipping through channels. "Wait, have you sent Craig nudes? Jay, you better not have."

"Girl, no. I haven't sent him anything of that sort. I won't be the next girl getting nudes leaked through the football team." Jay scoffed. "I'll have Craig by his balls if he ever pulled a stunt like that."

Michelle and Riley smirked. "Good."

"Anyway," Michelle sighed after hearing her little brother shout her name down the hall, "I gotta go. Family dinner and no phones allowed, ya know?"